What's new

Component Switching for Non-HDTV and No receiver (1 Viewer)

Mark Br

Grip
I've got a non HDTV Toshiba 36" TV with only 1 component connection and no receiver.

I also have a ps2, xbox, dvd player and soon will have a gamecube.

I've heard that I can hook up two standard composite switch boxes and use that to switch the video and audio for my component stuff..I just want to know if this will in any way give me a worse signal? or will I still be getting the full component quality with this method?

Thank you!

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the same boat that you are in Mark, and I've asked a lot of questions on these boards about component switching.

Some folks feel better about paying for a switcher that is advertised as one that specifically uses component connections (JVC makes one that is fairly popular). Others, who are cheap like me, have found that a composite switch (red, white, and yellow RCA's) can do the job as well with no degradation of quality.

The key it seems is whether HD signals will pass through these composite switchers, but that should not matter to you since your TV is not HDTV-ready.

In other words, buy a composite switcher (one without a remote because it seems that causes interference inside the switch)from Rat Shack for a lot less money ($20), and use the extra cash to buy a game for your XBox.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mark, since you have an analog TV why not run all that game stuff on S-Video? There sure shouldn't be any night and day difference. The JVC JX-777 < ? < model # ...only has 3 component inputs anyway. I forget how many S-Video it has. It has two DV inputs for camcorders. I think it has two optical audio inputs also. The old model JX-700 has seven S-Video inputs. If you need quantity, maybe a 700 would be good? I think there is an update of the 777 now too? I don't know if the feature set is different. Best wishes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks