Component Switcher help???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by dave_brogli, Sep 5, 2002.

1. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

My Rca has only one 'Component' Input, as a result everytime I want to play either of my PS2 or DVD, or dreamcast , I have to disconnect and connect the corresponding Console's Cable.
    Not only this is a pain in the neck, but also in the long run, I have noticed that the 'Component' connectors at the back of my TV are a bit loose (from constant connec/disconn).
    So I dont want to spend 200 on a component switcher..... but I heard you can use a regular old COMPOSITE switcher?? If so does it still pass the signal through without a big noticeable difference?? Please someone help with this I would much rather spend 30 then 200....
    Thanks!

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Yes, they work great, Unlike one in a receiver, they don't require voltage, and just have metal to melal contact, so nothing is lost. They start around $12. or so.

Glenn

3. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

I use a cheap $20 composite video game switcher for my 480p component inputs for XBOX, Ps2, and Gamecube. If you ask me, there is no loss in quality. Just make sure all the color are consistent.

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Thanks everyone!!!

5. Michael G Jones

Michael G Jones Stunt Coordinator

For the composite video game switcher, see if you can get one with S-Video. I was using an Ascii Video Game Switcher before I purchased a Yamaha Receiver and did not notice any signal loss on vcr dubbing, ps2,n64,dc video gaming & dvd playback.

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You can get a composite/audio switcher with S-video for about USD 40. at Radio Shack or Circuit City so S-video and component video can be switched in tandem. For component video you would be commandeering both the composite and audio lines (use the yellow jacks for the green cables).
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm