Component signal cuts out when run through receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Merrell, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Michael Merrell

Michael Merrell Stunt Coordinator

Problem: Component video cuts out when using the receiver's switch whenever a very bright scene is played.

I am using the component switching on my receiver for the first time. I have a new projector (VPL-HS10), and the only cable that I have that will reach is the multi-cable that comes with the projector, so I have to use the switcher for multiple sources. Prior to this, I used separate component cable straight from the source to my previous RPTV.

When running through the switch, the component signal will cut out (the sound does not) whenever a bright scene (rocket engine, bright explosion, really bright stuff like that) is played. The signal comes back after a second or so.

If I pull the monitor cable and plug it straight to the DVD player (JVC XVS60BK), there is no problem (so I don't think it's the cable or the DVD player).

Little help?

--Mike

2. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

What kindof receiver do you have and are you using progressive scan on your dvd player?

Maybe your receiver can pass progressive signals?
    That's my guess.

Daniel Smith

3. Michael Merrell

It's a Sony DA5ES, and the DVD player is a progressive scan player. The thing is, it does pass the signal, but something about a glaringly bright flash of a scene that pushes something over the edge. I don't know if I'm exceeding a design limitation of the component switch, or if it's a fault in the electronics.

Thanks,

--Mike

4. WilliamS

WilliamS Agent

Mine does the opposite: through S-Video, when the scene is really dark,the signal cuts out or what i refer to it as blinkning. I was thinking it was a combination between my TV and the DA5. Now I have the s-videos running through a module and that seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully I can ditch the module when I upgrade to an HD.

Who knows? Right.

5. Michael Merrell

I bought a separate component switcher in anticipation of having more sources than the two the DA5ES can switch. Probably a good thing, since it just took Sony two weeks, plus shipping time in both directions, to service my HS-10 (bad lamp module). In contrast, Parasound turned my repair around in 24 hours.

I have purchased two expensive Sony products in the last 6 months, and both need service...and now I find that the service is slow. They must really be trying to discourage me from purchasing Sony in the future.

--Mike