What's new

component resolution breakdown (1 Viewer)

DanielT

Auditioning
for the bennefit of my confused self can anyone break down which sources transmit which resolution into an HD ready set? provided the monitor will support the 1080 which components can one use to get optimal performance? Quite frankly I do not watch a lot of cable. I have comcast HD but frankly there are few shows I watch. I primarily watch DVDs and yes, some VHS (I like some films I simply cant get in DVD) i have head of DVHS units? what are these exactly? also with a DVD is the best resolution i am going to get from any DVD unit the 480? and if DVD can be modified in some way to give full HD 1080 how does one do that? excuse the obviously naive questions but my electronic interest peaked in the 80s and only now am i getting back to see that TV has changed immensely over time and when I have seen the HD signal I have of course liked it and want to make all my programming look that good. Once I take the plung and most likely buy the Sony XBR910 what would be the optimal input components to use? thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
DVHS allows playback and recording of high-def material, it won't do anything for regular VHS, or S-VHS, but it will playback those just fine.

DVD is not high-def.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This statement is very true, but there are players that up-convert the signal to 520p or higher. How much of a difference does this make? I don't know, but if you're trying to get every ounce of quality, then it may be something to look into.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, my post was quite brief, certainly video processing can make things much better for better displays. You can't add resolution that isn't there, but certainly video processing is a significant benefit to a display that can benefit from higher resolutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks