What's new

Component question (1 Viewer)

TrooperOscar

Auditioning
Real Name
Oscar
I am looking to buy a new receiver, speakers, and blu ray player and would like some help. I already have a 52' Samsung 1080P television and i want to add to it. I am looking at the Pioneer VSX-03TXH for my receiver. My main thing is as I have been out of the loop for awhile is there anything I need to know before purchasing? I will have my cable box and the blu ray player hooked up to it mainly. There could also be a few component items as well such as an original xbox and PS2. I have been reading for a few days now everything i could find on receivers and it all seems very overwhelming. If someone could just give me a little insight it would be greatly appreciated

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

What do you want to know? If you've been reading for awhile this site and others you probably have most of the info, unless you want clarification on a certain point.

You might want to consider the Onkyo 607, perhaps a bit more bang for the buck. 6 HDMI inputs (5 rear 1 front) vs. 3 on the Pioneer. Pioneer has the S-video but it sounds like you would be all component/HDMI. Also Onkyo has some of the newer Audyssey features like dynamic volume, though I don't have first-hand experience with how well that works.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
For the receiver. make sure it's an hdmi 1.3 "repeater" so it supports the new DolbyHD and DTS-MA audio formats on BluRay discs and not a 1.3 "pass-thru". Those usually transfer video only and not audio. As Stephen said, the more hdmi inputs the better. I'd like to see at least 4. You may need them later on. If you're a Pioneer fan, consider the 1019.

A receiver with Audyssey (Denon, Onkyo, Marantz) is a real plus. Pioneers MCACC, H/K's EZset and Yamaha's YAPO are pretty good Audyssey, with Dymamic EQ and Volume seems to offer a bit more. The Denon 789/790 would be another good choice. Buying on-line might save you a bunch of money. But make sure you buy from an authorized dealer like OneCall.com, Vanns.com, 6ave.com and AC4L.com-a good source for Onkyo factory refurbished receivers. There are others as well. Check the manufactures website to see if the dealer is authorized or the warranty may not be valid. This also goes for brick-and-morter stores like "Billies Discount Stereos and Medical Supplies". Pioneer can be stricked with this, especially with the Elite series.

For the BluRay player, most brands offer two choices like the Panasonic 60 and 80 or Sony 350 and 550. You shouldn't need the more expensive one if you bought the correct (hdmi 1.3 repeater) receiver.

Speakers, and the subwoofer, will offer the biggest impact for your money so most of your budget should go here. If movies and games are your thing then look for a good center speaker and an even better subwoofer. For music, I like bigger fronts. Check HSU, and SVS Sound. They also have highly recommended speaker pakages.

For wires, don't be fooled by name brand wires and cables. BlueJeans Cables and Monoprice.com offer great wires/cables at even better prices. For Monoprice, always get the "Premium" one's, like the 22 0r 24 gauge hdmi cables, when you have a choice. They aren't that much more but the quality is much better. If running them in-wall make sure they are rated for in-wall installation.

For speaker wire, 16 gauge is the smallest I'd go with 12 or 14 being much preferred. And again, BlueJeans or Monoprice, and even the bulk stuff at Home Depot is as good as the expensive stuff at BestBuy, etc.

As Stephen also said, come back with more specific questions as they come up. It all can be very confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks