What's new

component placement on top of rptv? (1 Viewer)

EddieMata

Agent
I just bought a 53" Pioneer rptv, however have not purchased a component rack yet. Is there any possiblity of damage to screen if place my components on top till I can find the right piece of furniture? I searched for other threads, but there weren't many responses to the same question.

Thanks!

Eddie

Robert*S

Stunt Coordinator
I would not recommend putting components on top of an RPTV. The most weight I would put on top would be a center speaker. You might want to get a board or a piece of glass to spread the weight of the center speaker to keep the screen from bowing in the middle.
As for the components, is there any room on the floor? Maybe use milk crate, coffee table etc. until you can get a component rack.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I agree - dont stack the heavy components (Reciever) on top of the RPTV. The cabinent is basically a thin-frame to hold the screen taught and protect the insides from dust.

You 'can' put the lighter components like the DVD player and CATV/Sat reciever on top if you must.

You might want to do a search for "Flexy Rack". These are basically home-made equipment racks made of 4 long-threaded rods, washers and nuts and pre-cut shelving from the hardware store. People have made some fairly nice racks with 8+ shelves for about $50-$90.

EddieMata

Agent
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm making due for now,with catv box and dvd on top; and will find a rack by end of weekend to complete a/v install.

THANKS AGAIN!

Eddie

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Get the catv box and DVD player off the top too. :D

I would put my stuff on the floor or just wait before I put anything on top of my monitor.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Hmm, I had a 60" Mitsubishi CRT RPTV that I put everything on with no problems. My receiver, VCR, PS2 and a small center channel. The cabinet was pretty sturdy made out of 1/2 particle board. Later when I bought my wall unit I put a pretty heavy shelf on top of it that came with the wall unit, a heavier center channel HTD LII, and my PE 250W amp that was enclosed in 1/2 MDF DIY box.
All this weight and no issues what so ever.
I am pretty sure you can put a decent amount of weight on a CRT RPTV.
LCD, DLP, Lcos is a different story.

Sebastian

Second Unit
The wall unit looked like this and the shelf that I am talking about was identical to this shelf. It sits right on top of the TV.

If you are not talking about a CRT RPTV then you can ignore my posts:D

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have a 65" Toshiba, and I have my cable box, dvd player and receiver on top and haven't noticed any problems. I have the receiver towards the corner because it is very heavy, about 53 pounds, and I feel the corner is stronger then having it in the middle. If I had the room for a rack to put all my equipment on that's what I would do though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks