Component Output Vs. S-Video On a Direct TV Unit ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dan DRC, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Dan DRC

Dan DRC Stunt Coordinator

I was looking to put my old unit in a bedroom system and was shoping for a replacemnt. I noticed one of the new RCA units has component video out. Would this be a noticeable improvement over S-Video ?

I like the results and can notice a difference when I use the component outputs on my DVD player but will you get the same benefits with DSS units?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

You may notice an improvement on some channels, namely those that were not composite video in an earlier stage during production or transmission.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Ken_B

Ken_B Auditioning

Generally, yes. DVI is the very best, second best is component video, then S-Video, then composite.

As I understand, we're talking bandwidth, here. A better interface carries more data to the monitor.

An exception might be if you have an off-air antenna and you're viewing a local channel analog broadcast. Less data is being received, so it wouldn't use the entire transfer capacity of a higher-quality pathway.

I've noticed that, for example. one of the community-access channels on cable has a lower-quality picture than, say, a premium movie channel, even though I'm using component video across the board.

Someone with more expertise might be able to provide more detail, but that's how I understand it.