What's new

Component Output to RBGHV (1 Viewer)

Johnny.McN

Auditioning
Greetings all HTF'ers!

I'm quite new to home theater, and due to some amazing luck, I got, for free, a Barco Graphics 808 CRT projector, and decided to set up a home theater. (My family is really enjoying it!)

I've got the Barco, a cheap Koss DVD/receiver/HT sound system, and a 10' Dacor screen, which all work very nicely.

Here's the issue/question...

The Barco accepts either s-video, or a RGBHV connection (5 BNC connectors). The DVD/receiver has component and s-video output. I'm currently using the s-video, but I'd like to use the component output for the progressive scan. I've done a bit of research, and it seems that to connect from the component output to the RGBHV, I'll need something there other than just a cable... I've seen devices made by Audio Authority and Key Digital (transcoders?) that look like they'll do the trick, but I'm curious if anyone has any advice or suggestions about doing this. (Note: The Barco manual says it will accept either RGsB, RGBS, or RBGHV signals on the 5 BNC connectors.)

One last thing - I also have an Extron System 8 Plus switcher (it also came with the Barco) - does anyone know if it converts the signal from component output to RGsB/RGBS/RGBHV, or does it just pass it through?

Thanks!
Johnny

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Duno about the extron switcher, although you might try asking over at AVS forum...

As far as component to RGBHV- you're right- you need a transcoder. They have come down in price over the past few years, but they'll still cost you a few bucks.

Back in the old days I used to cheat by running svder to an ISCAN line doubler, which passed out RGBHV signal on a DB15 connector... The newer ISCAN doubler might accept interlaced component input and give you RGBHV 480p-- but it would probably be better to cut out the middle man and get a decent trancoder (or, even better, get into the wonder of htpc and send video direct from a PC to the PJ).

-V

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The Extron switcher almost certainly will not convert component to RGB. Sorry. really. But it is a nice switcher.

But the BG808 is a nice projector, and if you have the patience to set it up right, will do good things for you.

You might also be able to get an 'input card' for the Barco that'd make it accept YUV. It's been a while, I don't remember the details.

Leo Kerr

Johnny.McN

Auditioning
Thank you Vince and Leo - your advice is very much appreciated!

I think I'll go ahead and get one of the transcoders, and put it between the Extron and Barco. As long as everything going into the Extron is component output, I can use that combo to switch up to eight sources to the Barco. The Barco also switches audio, so I think it should work out pretty well.

Thanks!
Johnny

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Johnny:

They covered your questions well, but I'll add my input (as a G808 owner myself). IMO, 480 is way under the sweetspot of the G808, and you should probably add a video processor to scale up the resolution, replace your player with a unit that does this, such as the momitsu v880 or similar, or use something like an HTPC for your source. The sweetspot of the 808 is usually a bit beyond 720p, so you should probably be sending it signals such as these for the best picture. 480 on an 808, is well, somewhat of a waste of that projector unless it's in poor condition, in a less-than critical setup.

I believe that Leo is correct, that Barco does sell component input boards for the 808, but I have no idea how much they'd cost, probably extremely expensive new. Used availability is probably quite small.

And lastly: definitely don't use composite or s-video inputs on this thing, it will make me cry :frowning:. 480p via a transcoder is marginally better, but you really need to be pushing HD-type resolutions from an HTPC or video processor to this projector. I don't know how you can stand 480 resolutions with all the scanlines...

In the sweetspot, though, this unit will run with the absolute best.

Johnny.McN

Auditioning
Chris:

Definitely a point well taken! Thank you for your invaluable advice.

When I first set it up, I was very happy to have a 10' screen, but wasn't satisfied at all with the image quality... Which is why I started trying to find out how to get the progressive scan/component output connected.

I guess my next step after the transcoder would be to get a better DVD player... The one I have now is basically a piece of junk, but it's what got me this far! (It's just the first step in the evolution of my system.)

The transcoders I'm looking at can handle multiple resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i), so if I replace the DVD player with something like the Momitsu, I'll be fine.

I looked into the Momitsu you suggested, and it looks like a excellent player, and not out of my price range (well under $300, and some places under $250!) One other very cool thing about it - you can get a DVI-to-VGA adapter cable for it. It's possible I could even get it to send directly to the Barco!

Now I know what to ask for Xmas!

Thanks,
Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks