What's new

Component out to VGA monitor? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm putting together a second system for my bedroom. I just picked up a Pioneer HT Package consisting of a VSX-D711 receiver, 5 speakers, a subwoofer, and a DV-353 dvd player. I was able to get the whole package for only $270 + sh, which is less than retail for just the receiver.

Since the system is going to be in my bedroom, the only display device available is my 21" computer monitor. Is there any way i can run component output from the DVD directly to monitor? Is there a component to vga cable? or a component to vga converter?

I know i could run s-video into the video capture/pvr card in my computer, but this wouldn't produce a great quality picture.

I've also seen video de-interlacers that convert composite and s-video to vga for pretty cheap (made for use with video game systems), but i've never seen one with component inputs.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Or should i just sell the DVD player and use my computer's dvd player and the digital output on my SB Live! ?

Thanks

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You need a Y/Pb/Pr to RGB transcoder (a box, not a cable). Unfortunately I don't have on hand information on what is a good transcoder or where to buy one, the name Audio Authority sounds somewhat familiar to me as a mail order video store.
An iScan Pro takes interlaced component video from a DVD player and outputs progressive 480p RGB (same as regular VGA). The picture is superb. The Viewsonic VB50 also outputs VGA and SVGA as well, I don't know too much about it but you might inquire at a high end video store to find out what the VB50 does. THe VB50 costs a lot less than the iScan Pro and I am told its de-interlacing isn't as good as the iScan Pro; you might not notice much of a difference.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
hi stephen,
if you were going to consider the transcoder and video scaler route i would recommend it for your main system rather than your bedroom. a monitor of that size should show an excellent picture but so would a tv of that size.

if you were planning to go the transcoder and scaler route, i think tou would find that investing in a small tv with svid input cheaper and you would get a great picture for dvd's not to mention a builtin tuner.

if you want to check pricing for transcoders and scalers you could contact Cliff Watson at DIGITALCONNECTION.

tell him that i referred you. he is very helpful and knowledgeable.

goodluck
peter m.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
A scan converter seems to be well out of the price range i want to spend on this particular project. Since i do have a dvd player in my computer, i'll stick with it for now, and possibly sell the DVD that's included in this system. I know a DVDO from ISCAN would do the job, but i can't even afford that for my main setup (although it would greatly help with non-hd tv source material).

I know i've scene inexpensive scan converters made for use with video games and vga monitors that even had tv tuners built in, that went for around $40 or $50, but they only had composite inputs. I may actually go this route, because i could use the dvd included in the package i got, and it would add tv tuner capabilities. If the dvd doesn't look good w/ composite, i'll stick w/ the computer dvd and still have a good tv tuner for my room.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks