What's new

Component out to VGA monitor (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm putting together a second system for my bedroom. I just picked up a Pioneer HT Package consisting of a VSX-D711 receiver, 5 speakers, a subwoofer, and a DV-353 dvd player. I was able to get the whole package for only $270 + sh, which is less than retail for just the receiver.

Since the system is going to be in my bedroom, the only display device available is my 21" computer monitor. Is there any way i can run component output from the DVD directly to monitor? Is there a component to vga cable? or a component to vga converter?

I know i could run s-video into the video capture/pvr card in my computer, but this wouldn't produce a great quality picture.

I've also seen video de-interlacers that convert composite and s-video to vga for pretty cheap (made for use with video game systems), but i've never seen one with component inputs.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Or should i just sell the DVD player and use my computer's dvd player and the digital output on my SB Live! ?

Thanks

Larry Becker

Agent
Viewsonic makes a couple of devices that do this. The Nextvision 5 and soon to be released Nextvision 6. You can check them out on Viewsonic's web site. I'm holding out for the newer one because it will go to 1280x1024 on my 18" LCD monitor AND it will accept progressive scan input. Way cool. The cost isn't settled yet. They were saying $199 for a while, but some are speculating $299 or even $399 for it (Direct from Viewsonic). Speculation on the web is that it will go for about $300 through mail order discounters, which still makes it quite a value for that sort of thing. It's due out any time now.

Larry

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Quite a value at $300? That's more that a good progressive scan player would cost... i was thinking there might be something in the $50 range, or even a simple cable converter.

Any other options? opinions? suggestions?

Thanks.

Larry Becker

Agent
Yeah, $300 is a bit much, I agree. But it basically allows your VGA LCD or tube monitor to become a HDTV at 1280x1024 resolution. And it has a tv tuner, remote control, pip features, yada, yada, yada.

The component inputs you want make it pricier. Viewsonic does have a lower end model, the Viewsonic VB50HRTV. It can generally be found for about $99. It maxes out at S-video and 1024x768 resolution, but since the system you're putting together is a secondary, lower cost one, this might do it for you...

I'm holding out for the higher end model. My Sony 18" LCD running at 1280x1024 is amazing, and I can't wait to see what progressive scan 480p looks like on it.

My dvd player is part of a $999 Yamaha HTIB that I have in my office, but it has a Faroudja imaging chip in it. I hooked it up to a high-end projector that could handle progressive scan and it looked great, but I don't really need a $9k projector in my little 15'x15' office.

So, look at the lower end Viewsonic. I've not used it, but if you do a search on it in some of the forums you'll find some satisfied users.

Larry

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I had the same problem, since I want to connect the YUV out to the RGB input on my Sony LCD projector. I found someone who makes me a 10m cable with the fitting plugs at both ends. I costs me 45 Euro which is around 44 Dollars.
I live in Germany, so I expect you will have to find somebody in your country. Try people who remove the regional code prohibition in DVD players.
For what it is worth to you, here is the email of my source:
[email protected]
his homepage:
http://www.dvdplayer.de
hope this helps.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I think that cable will only work because the Sony will accept both YPrPb and VGA. To transcode YPrPb to VGA get the Audio Authority box for about $175. I use it to transcode from my Toshiba SD-6200 to my CRT projector requiring RGBS. www.audioauthority.com/consumer.html
EDIT: only works on progressive scan component outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks