What's new

Component or S-video connection.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have a HDTV ready rptv and a non-progessive scan dvd player. Right now I have it hooked up with a S-video cable. I was considering using a component video cable. Will I notice a big difference or since my dvd player is not Progessive scan will it not make a difference?

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I havn't noticed much of a difference between component and Y/C myself.

If you want to give it a try, buy a set from Best Buy or Circuit City and return them if you don't see a difference.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
The component cables will certainly allow a "better" picture in the sense of more information and better accuracy. A separate question is whether you'll perceive this as a "big difference" and that's going to be very subjective. To my eyes it's more of a "noticable difference" but certainly not the sort of thing that jumps out at you in two seconds flat from across the room.

You can get an inexpensive but servicable set of component cables for around $30 so it's not the most expensive thing in the world to try.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have noticed huge differences even on small direct-view sets. Colors are truer, purer, and the imaging is sharper and more refined. Always use the component-video connection over an S-video connection whenever possible.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
What jack said twice ;) Seriously, you will notice a much better color rendition on your set. I have a 55" WS and an interlaced Toshiba DVD player, and the component looks much better. I like the vibrancy that I'm now seeing. It's worth the minor investment in your set up, for sure!
Matt

Rich H

Second Unit
I own a Panasonic plasma. I expected my component signal to be better than S-Video, but I'm surprised (and somewhat dismayed) that it's not the case.

There's nothing wrong with the component picture - it's fantastic. But the S-Video signal looks even more amazing (clearer, sharper, better color depth). The only advantage the component signal has is that it can benefit from the progressive scan output of my DVD player, and thus displays a smoother, more artifact free picture. But on all other counts, most of the time, the S-Video picture kicks butt.

A real head scratcher.

Rich H.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Your HD Ready TV is going to take that analog signal and digitize it. Then it's going to scan it to see if the source was film or video. Then it might do 3:2 pull-down. Then it's going to look between video rows to add lines to up-convert the signal. Finally, it's going to convert the digital rows of video into natural/progressive order then convert it back to analog for display.

With all this processing, you really want to feed the best possible signal to that TV.

In truth, you may not see much difference. But there is a LOT of stuff going on behind the scenes. Dont cripple it when you have the ability to give it a better signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks