Component or HDMI??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RichardJB, Aug 12, 2006.

1. RichardJB

RichardJB Stunt Coordinator

Just had the new MITSU YD-57w delivered today and was wondering about
    connections. Is there a differance between component and HDMI? I have
    all connections available on my TV,cable box and Denon reciever. Looking for the best possible connections,any help would be appreciated.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Go with HDMI.

While component is good, It is an ANALOG connection and chances are your TV will have to convert it to Digital. Using a DVI or HDMI cable, the TV does not have to perform this extra conversion. This results in fewer artifacts.

Hope this helps.

3. Joe Pick

Joe Pick Stunt Coordinator

Fewer artifacts, OK, but will using HDMI provide an overall better, sharper HD picture? I have a 37" Panasonic plasma connected to a Comcast cable DVR (Motorola 3412) using high quality component cables. The HD channels look great - especailly the INHD channels. If I switch to HDMI, do you think I'll notice an improvement? Also, can I use HDMI just for video out on my cable box (optical out for audio)? Comcast says it's unsupported, but there's an HDMI output there. My receiver doesn't have HDMI.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I dont know if you will notice a difference. I'm recommending the digital connection as the best possible connection type.

You must also remember: Most modern HDTV's have separate setup (color, brightness, contrast, ...) for each input. If you hooked up both HDMI and good component cables - you MIGHT see a difference. But it could be you have calibrated the component input and not the HDMI.

Component can provide a stunning picture (my own system is hooked up this way). One day I will get a DVI cable from BlueJeans to hook up my DVR.

I would hook up both HDMI and Optical. HDMI will carry the video and sound to the TV for casual watching, and you can fire up the receiver for more serious watching. But if your cable company does not 'support' HDMI - chances are it wont work. Get a cable from a store with a good return policy to check.

5. Elliot.Lazarus

Elliot.Lazarus Auditioning

Please post your results when you do it.

I tried the HDMI with the Denon 3806 and it did not work.....So the HDMI goes to the Plasma and the Component goes to the receiver making turn on/off 2 devices....

I have been trying to reach Denon for 3 days now and see if there is a fix and I will post it.

Thank you

Elliot