What's new

Component or HDMI?? (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the new Mits yd-57w deliverd today and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the hook up? Is HDMI better than component or does it matter? Thanx

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I tried both and could not see any improvement with HDMI, and since my cable box came with a 5 wire component cable I have been more than satisfied with that for the past 2 years after quickly returning the HDMI cable.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Richard- You should try both and see what looks better with your equipment. Whether HDMI or component video looks better, is due to how each is implemented in the source component and the display. There is no blanket way to say that one or the other will be better with different gear. For example, if you look at Secrets DVD player testing, some players test better with an HDMI output, and some are better using component.

With that being said, using HDMI does keep the signal in the digital domain all the way to the display. Component adds an extra D to A and A to D conversion that can (but doesn't necessarily) affect signal quality. Plus, with HDMI, you get video and audio from just one cable.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Which is great if you want to send the audio to your TV set, but less important if you're using an amp or receiver. (Unless you either output the sound by a digital link from the TV to the receiver, or have an a/v receiver that does HDMI switching.)

Regards,

Joe

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes I don't want to fire up my entire 7.1 system to watch something. In that case, a 1 cable solution is ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks