Component only option...what is a good dvd player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by CalebC, Dec 27, 2004.

1. CalebC

CalebC Extra

my TV only has component inputs (bought my HDTV at the wrong time [​IMG] ). most reviews i have been reading deal with upscaling and the wrong inputs for my use. any suggestions that could help me? don't want to spend more than $500. hoping for about $300 if possible but if it would make a huge difference i would jump at $500.

thanks in advance.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Go to Hometheaterhifi.com for their DVD player reviews.

3. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    I'd consider a good pro scan player like one of the much ballyhooed, discontinued Panasonic units, like the RP82. Ebay is about the only chance on those.

Otherwise, the Cambridge 540D is a beast at around $300 or so. It's also a damned nice redbook CD player to boot. It's stacked for its price point.

After that, we of course come to the Denon 2900 which may be one of the best overall package deals going right now.

If you want upscaling over component, you could try and get a Zenith 318 from Amazon at $150.

They keep coming in and out of stock. If you get one with an earlier than July 2004 build, you most likely will have full component upscaling. $150.

Here's a great 318 FAQs a bunch of people have been using at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=400480

Even if you got a newer Zenith with later firmware that disables full component upscaling- my understanding is that people in that thread have found ways to get the earlier firmware to open it back up anyways.

4. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

i also bought my hdtv at the wrong time, and am looking to replace my toshiba sd9200 dvd player..my pioneer tv also only has component inputs...i am curious to know what dvd player some of you guys have or suggest with only component inputs...i would also want sacd and dvd audio...price range up to $1000....

5. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Raymond: Pioneer 59avi, Denon 2900. Denon 3910 if you can shop around aggressively, I've heard of people getting it for under a grand.

Check your PM or email box.

6. raymond caputo

raymond caputo Stunt Coordinator

thanks eric for the info...pioneer elite 59avi, and the denon 3910 were the two i considered...now..i am thinking of waiting for the yamaha s2500 to be released..

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I just bought the Sony 975 model ---- it can be had for around $250.00 online. This picture is phenomenal. However, it seems to slightly crop the picture --- this was noticable on Avia. I didn't really notice it on movies though. The reviews for it have been positive, overall.