component on SVHS...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Kwong, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Are there any advantages of using the component connectors (for recording and playback) on S-VHS VTR's? I really haven't used this connector, I mostly use svideo and XLR for the i/o.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    VCRs don’t have component connections. You probably mean “composite,” the single yellow RCA jack.

What the &%%# kind of VCR are you using that has XLR ins and outs??

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

It's a Panasonic Proline model, AG DS-850... Looking at it more carefully it has component output, not any input. I was thinking that the quality might be better when scaled with a processor or something. There are plenty of decks with XLR!
    http://www.vidicomp.com/pan/agds850.jpg

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

VHS videocassettes are fundamentally recorded in a format very close to S-video, When played back the video signal is first converted to S-video and component video is derived from that. This is different from DVD where the video signal is first delivered as component video and the S-video is derived from that.
    For this VCR, whether component video or S-video comes out better depends on who has the better color decoder, the VCR (using its component output) or the next box (scaler or TV) using S-video connection. If you are knowledgeable about and also concerned about red push, try it both ways, you may find out that one way has less red push than the other. (Red push is a deliberate departure from the correct standards to make most human flesh colors more pleasing.)
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm