component inputs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zach_F, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Zach_F

Zach_F Auditioning

I am looking at the yamaha htr5450(100w*5) versus the htr5460(110w*5). The 5460 has component inputs (besides the obvious 10W extra power), I understand these are for the video signal but how does the receiver effect the image?? I plan on buying a hdtv in the future but for now I only have s-video, no component inputs on tv, should I go for the 5460 because it is something I just won't be able to live w/o in the future. I guess I am lost on the advantage of the component inputs on a receiver. Also any advice on other recievers that others feel would be good to power a JBL s310,s26,s-center HT system that are under $400 would be great!! [​IMG]
    Thank you all, this forum is great!!
    Zach

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Obviously this question is more related to the fact that their are limitations on any particular display device in terms of inputs. This more than anything has driven the video switching frenzy. It is a convenience issue.

Most people would recommend direct connection from source to display, even if there are input limitations. I have seen signal artifacts arise from receiver switching that is not well implemented and isolated but never on high end gear.

Your 5460 choice seems fine. I would rather buy something that is more capable in terms of usefulness, even if I didn't currently plan to use that particular feature myself. It can help in resale/trade if nothing else.

4. Bill Lewis

Bill Lewis Auditioning

If you are going to upgrade to HDTV in the future and use the componant video inputs, you may want a slightly more expensive Yamaha, the 5490. Throughput on its componant video is 60mhz, as opposed to 30 Mhz bandwidth on the 5460. You definately won't notice the difference on standard TV, but you might be able to see it on HDTV (there is a fairly large debate on this topic). My own thinking is better to be safe than to save a few bucks for a receiver that I don't want to be outdated in the near future. I decided to go with the Onkyo 797 myself, but the Yammy 5490 was one I seriously considered.