What's new

component inputs? (1 Viewer)

AlClarkJr

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, I'm want to use 3 video sources via component cables but I only have two inputs on my television. So I was going to use the two inputs on my Yamaha HTR 5280 audio receiver. Has anyone had any success using video swithcing thru their receiver? Also would I lose any video quality? Thanks for any help.

Tim K

Second Unit
A direct connection is ALWAYS best.
...but when you don't have enough inputs go through your receiver. That is one reason why receivers have video switching. Unless you are some kind of videophile I doubt you'd see any difference.

Bryan_K

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like you just answered your own question.

"Good my little padawan learner.....good"

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Al.

It's a little complicated.

Some receivers switch component signals, but usually only 2. And among these, not all receivers were designed for HD video. The different video signals have the following max frequencies:

480i Component - 4 Mhz max
480p Progressive - 12 Mhz
720p/1080i - 35 Mhz

So if you are running 3 standard grade video sources, and your receiver has that many inputs - great.

But if you are trying to run Progressive/HD video, check your receiver manual. You want to look for terms like "HD Video Switching" or "100 Mhz bandwidth". If you dont see words like this - your receiver was NOT designed to handle the higher-frequency signals.

Note: It wont hurt anything to hook it up. Nothing will be 'damaged' by pushing HD video through a 'component' capable switcher. But there could be some ghosting of the signal and loss of focus.

You are not alone in needing more than 2 inputs into a video switcher. Here is a thread that discusses this issue and mentions several external switch box's for between $100-$160 that do the trick.

Inexpensive HD Video Switching

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks