What's new

Component Input Splitter or Component/VGA Adapter? (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using an older (~2001) HDTV (Philips 60PP9601) that has two HD inputs:
-- Component Video (Y/Pr/Pb)
-- VGA/SVGA

Ever since a few weeks after I got that TV, used, in early 2003, I've used the component input with a Panasonic DVD-XP30, a progressive-scan DVD player.

Today, I set up our new Tivo HD (model TCD652160). I moved the component input to the Tivo HD, and moved the DVD player to S-Video, which I think brings it back to interlaced.

To get the DVD player back to Component Video and progressive scan, would it make more sense to:

-- Get a splitter for the TV's Component Video input, or
-- Get a VGA adapter for a Component Video cable

Also, I see that prices on used early HD DVD players like the Toshiba HD-A1 are getting pretty low, so it may not be much longer before I go ahead and replace the DVD-XP30 with one of those (or BD DVD, I dunno), so that should probably factor into the choice, too.

Whether the advice is for a splitter or for an adapter, I'd also appreciate any advice on specific brands & models.

Thanks,

Greg

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It would seem a simple fix, and this is the "home theater forum" after all.

Component video switches do exist-- A splitter sounds like it doesn't leave much room for expansion. Might as well get the switch.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

No, but you do to get the most out of the digital sound available on DVD, hi-def DVD and HD television and a good A/V receiver will also switch your video sources into the bargain, so it would seem a good solution. You just connect all your component sources to the mulitple inputs on the receiver, then run one component output to the TV. That's what I do with my two upconverting DVD changers and my HD-DVR.

Regards,

Joe

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Definetly agree with Joe's comment, now receivers have the capability of converting S-video to component therefore all video sources through the receiver will be scaled to Component regardless of the lower video source, composite or S-video. A cheap way out is using a component switcher. But I'd go with a good receiver. Please note the better it is the more you'll get out of it. HD-DVD or Blu-ray capability, Ipod connections etc,.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks