Component input doesn't necessarily mean progressive support?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike_G, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    I gotta ask something - when did component input not necessarily mean progressive scan support? I bought a 20" TV for my kids' GameCube and got a component cable for it like I have on the HDTV Toshiba. The problem is that not only does it not support progressive scan, but the manual doesn't even mention it, and the Circuit City web site doesn't separate component input from progressive scan support.

I've been in this hobby for a very, very long time and this is the first time I feel "duped". The cable came in today and the TV's video went all diagonal when the progressive scan from the GC kicked in.

So now I don't know what to do. I go through all this trouble to get this cable and a good TV only to find that the TV doesn't work, and there's really no way to know if any OTHER TV's on any other store's web sites support progressive scan since nobody seems to separate one from the other.

Should I be surprised by this?

Mike

2. John S

John S Producer

Not many TV's that are not HDTV Ready support 480p.

The component video is usually there so the tv itself can perform the progressive scan itself.

You can't set the player for 480i out the component video to let the TV do provide the progressive scan?

3. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    You can. The GC now asks if I want progressive scan support turned on or off since I have the component cable. It just defeats the purpose of doing this in the first place.

Mike

4. Michael_Q

Michael_Q Stunt Coordinator

Generally speaking, only HDTVs support progressive scan. These days, most standard TVs have component inputs, but that definitely does NOT mean the TV supports progressive scan.

5. John S

John S Producer

It does not defeat the purpose at all, if your goal was to have progressive scan running. As long as your TV is going to do it on the 480i component inputs, your there.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The store web sites may not be very complete, but going to the manufacturers web site for the make/model of TV you are interested in. Look for "Audio Video" inputs section and look for 480p or even 720p.

Take the TV back. Thats one of the good things that Brick & Mortar stores offer - easy return.

But I suspect the cheapest 20" or above television is going to be a $800 HDTV unit.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Why feel duped because you didn't do your homework??

Component video connections do give a better picture than Composite or S-video even without throwing progressive scan into the equation, although this is apparent more on larger sets. To automatically assume that the presence of component inputs means the set will do progressive scan is
    flawed logic, you still have to check out the specs of the tv itself.

There is one Samsung set I know of that will do progressive scan but not HD, otherwise if it doesn't say "Hd Ready" in the specs it won't do progressive scan, component inputs or not.

Most of the interlaced only sets in the 27" or larger sizes do have component inputs even though they won't do progressive scan.

I've had one 35 inch direct view and one 53" rptv both of which had component inputs but neither of which would do progressive scan. Both had better pictures over the component inputs than with S-video or composite.