Component In Video Problem with OPPO DVD player...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Vince Green, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Vince Green

Vince Green Auditioning

I got a Oppo DV971H the other day and hooked it up via component cables. I'd been using the same cables with my now dead Malata n996 DVD player (that literally BLEW UP on me). I tried multiple dvd's NTSC and PAL and I keep getting these horizontal colored lines that scroll up and down the picture. Not all the time, but they are certainly noticeable (more so when the camera is moving). I've got a 6 year old Sony wega (KV-32FV16) that's not progressive. I hooked up my backup Philips 727 dvd player via the component cables and it does the same thing. I double checked the component cables and they are hooked up correctly. I then went out and picked up another component video cable... Same issue. I also brought my OPPO over to my friends house and hooked it up to his new Sony Wega via Component In's. Worked fine...

I'm really puzzled because I used the same component in's with my old Malata player for over 4 years. One thing I did notice is the Component in's on the Wega are labeled Y,Pr,Pb instead of Y,Cr,Cb like the Oppo. Could there be some sort of small voltage difference in my Wega's Component in's??? This is really frustrating. Any help would be gladly appriciated. Thx!

2. John S

John S Producer

Horizontal lines are almost always interference and/or a ground loop issue.

3. Vince Green

Vince Green Auditioning

So what steps should I take to find out if there is some interference or ground loop?

Disconnect everything to or near my TV/DVD player?

4. John S

John S Producer

These can be very difficult to find...

Does one of them have a ground and the other doesn't?
    Maybe try a cheater plug and do not connect the ground.

On interference issues, you almst have to move the two pieces of equipment to see if it changes and/or stops it.

I work on these a lot for people, and I don't think I have found the same solution on any two different peoples systems / locations.

5. Vince Green

Vince Green Auditioning

Thanks, I appriciate the help. I've found a few pages online that are pretty in depth about ground loop/interference. I've tried several things thus far to no avail. I'll just have to try one thing at a time.

The hardest thing I'm finding with this is why would my previous Malata DVD player have no problem with the same Component cable/power hookup?