Component Hook Up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Weight, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Jeff Weight

Jeff Weight Stunt Coordinator

My parents just baught a Toshiba 34" widescreen. They also have a toshiba progressive dvd player and a Harman Kardon AVR 320 receiver. My question is should I rund the progressive signal into the receiver, and then to the TV or just straight to the TV?

2. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

straight to the TV

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Personally, I would run straight to the TV as well unless a lack of video I/O's was a problem, then I would use the receiver to do the switching.

4. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I agree...Straight to the TV, you'll get less signal loss, plus you won't have to buy another set of component cables.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You only run through the receiver if you have 2 or more video sources of the same type.
    So if you have the Progressive Scan DVD player, an XBox and perhaps a HDTV decoder box (all offer component) - then you have 3 sources and you want to run through the receiver.
    Many people run component straight to the TV, but with all their other SVideo sources - they run SVideo from everything through the receiver. This can make the system easy to use for the family because the receiver handles everything. But for serious DVD watching, you take the extra step to flip to the direct component feed.
    Hope this helps.

6. Paul D Cook

Paul D Cook Auditioning

Well, this is my take on it. Admittedly a newbie but the HK has 30 Mhz of Component Video Switch Bandwidth capability. From my research, 20 Mhz is the minimum for progressive scan. If you listen to the designers of the equipment, you should be able to hook the DVD directly to the receiver and back out with no signal degradation. FWIW.
    PDC