Component --> DVI conversion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Phil-s, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Phil-s

Phil-s Auditioning

I have a Sharp PG-M25X projector. Hooking my video game systems up to the DVI input would be the best quality, plus let me choose widescreen display, right? I want to buy component cables for all my systems and a component-->DVI adapter. I have not been able to find the adapter with female ends, though. Would regular RCA couplers work or will it degrade the quality? Suggestion are welcome. Thank You.

Philip

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

DVI only helps if you have digital video output from your source device, like a PC, STB, or some DVD players, which avoids a digital->analog->digital conversion cycle. For your video game systems that have analog component out, just hook up to the component input on the projector.

Don't bother trying to find a component->DVI adapter, which don't exist AFAIK since there would be no point to using one. A->D is done by the projector already on its component input. You would need DVI out on the video game itself for DVI to matter.

3. Phil-s

Phil-s Auditioning

my projector does not have component inputs. Only dvi, s-video, and rca. I just want the best picture quality.

since i can't link yet. goto pacificcable.com and search for "DVIRCA-3". That is the component -> dvi adapter

4. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Ah, I see, you have projector that only accepts component via DVI-A, analog connection. That's a different matter; initially I thought you were looking to go from component to DVI-D, digital. Sure, RCA couplers will work perfectly fine for that purpose, along with DVI-A->component video breakout cable.

You might want to run that Pacific cable adapter into a component video switching receiver or switchbox, run your sources into the switch.

5. Phil-s

Phil-s Auditioning

ya i was thinking about getting a component switch, that way i wouldnt need any couplers either. But they seem really expensive.