Component DVD on Computer monitor possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephe Campbell, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Stephe Campbell

Stephe Campbell Auditioning

I have an addtional DVD player (SONY DVP-S560D) that I would like to play on my computer monitor. I have a GF4 Ti 4600 from VisionTek with VGA, S-Video, and DVI plug ins. The graphics card is TV in/out compatible and indicates on the website that you can port your VCR into the card and edit. Is it also possible to play the component DVD player on the monitor via this same S-Video port?
    My specs are:
    AMD XP1700, Soyo Dragon Plus mobo w/512 DDR 2400, GF4 Ti 4600 with 30.82 drivers.
    The reason I ask is that I really don't want to purchase a DVD drive for the computer if I can make this work and I already have a Panasonic DVD player in the home entertainment system.

Thanks for any help

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

yes, you could plug your DVD player into the SVideo. A Component-VGA transcoder would probably run you as much as a similar sized TV

3. Stephe Campbell

Thanks Jeff. Now I await the correct 9-pin to 4-pin
    S-video cable from VisionTek. Do I need to set any particular resolution or refresh rate?
    If I run into any problems, I'll post another reply.
    Thanks again for the timely response. Its good to know that if you look hard enough, you are bound to find some help somewhere on the net.

4. Jeff Kleist

you probably need to switch the card into TV-In mode, that's it

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

You mention "component" video. If you're using the S-video connector, then you've mixed two of the three components together. Of course, you may not notice much of a difference.

Also, if you're using the video in on the card, it might not like getting a Macrovision-encoded signal, which most DVDs produce.

//Ken

6. Jeff Kleist

Ken, Macrovision is basically meaningless in this case. If the computer detected it, it would simply refuse to capture video

7. Stephe Campbell

Ken,
    I don't have any aspirations regarding video capture, so this should not be a problem.
    I really want to thank you guys again. I have searched all over the net for some answers and decided to post here as the topics already being discussed seem to hit near the mark at which I was aiming. I am doing this more as a "will it work?" project as anything else. I do plan on watching movies in the home office when the living room is occupied by my wife watching "Lifetime Television". I am getting tired of seeing Golden Girls 23 hours a day...lol!
    I did get my Best Buy flyer today and see that you can pick up a PC BUS brand DVD-ROM for $19.99 after $40 in mail in rebates. I should probably just do that and quit screwing around with this. I may pick it up in case this doesn't pan out. I did have a DVD-ROM in this machine at one time, but found that the picture looked a little "washed out". Probably just need to adjust resolution, brightness, contrast, color balance...etc.

8. Kvit Lim

Kvit Lim Agent

I have a similar question:
    Plan A:
    I'm trying to use the Component output from a Pioneer 525 DVD player to connect to a DVI input of a Samsung 172t/191t LCD. Is there such a thing as a Component-->DVI converter?
    Digital -->Analog (DVD player) -->Digital (LCD)
    And would this active or passive converter solution be inexpensive? I'm also not sure if the LCD is meant to receive such a signal.
    Plan B:
    Else, I'd probably do the HTPC way and output DVI directly
    from the PC (Geforce4 ti4200 from Dell dimension 4550) to the LCD. But, electrical noise/interferance from the power supply may spoil the quality of the optical audio outputs from the sound card to my HT yamaha external amp? Hence back to plan A...and around and around I go..
    Decisions, Decisions! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :wink: [​IMG]
    Kvit