component connection quality?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ronKi, May 22, 2006.

1. ronKi

ronKi Agent

Is it worth upgrading to HD DVD if my monitor does not have a HDMI connection?
    I have component/S-Video ect....Will i see the High Def quality or should i wait til i upgrade my tv?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    ron,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, you will see the HD quality, because all currently produced titles will allow full-res over component (and S-Video).

In the future that might change, but for the moment you don't need the HDMI.

(And there's a new HDMI version coming. So it may not very wise to rush at all.)

Cees

3. ronKi

ronKi Agent

Thanks Cees for the info. I was concerned that i'd be wasting my $ for something i couldn't tell the difference between SD or HD.
    This is my 1st time ever writing to any forum and i appreciate the quick response.
    Ron

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Assuming your set is HD capable it will work. I've had an HD-A1 for over a month now, connected via component to a 5 year old Sony crt based rptv that only has component input for HD and get 1080i from HD-DVDs just fine--looks better than any of my other HD sources.

If you do get the player, be sure to set it for 1080i output regardless of the native scanrate of your HD set. In other words don't set it for 720p even if that's the native scanrate of your set.

5. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Don't forget, though: No upscaling of most standard DVD's over component. This will impact the quality of standard DVD when played on the player.

Ted

6. ronKi

ronKi Agent

Thanks Steve i'll do that!
    For the best sound should i connect the audio using the optical connection?
    I'm using a Yamaha RX-V1500 reciever.
    Ron

7. ronKi

ronKi Agent

Ted,
    i understand that sd dvd's won't upscale to hd quality if they are copy protected. Does the picture quality look the same as when played on a standard player when played thru the HD player using the component connection?
    Ron

8. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

In my set up ... the HD DVD player is dedicated to HD material. I leave the upconverting SD material to the DVD players which do a better job.

Regards

9. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Yes, the player will be outputting 480 over component when standard DVD's are being played. However the Toshiba is certainly one of the better upscaling players out there, and at the $500.00 price point, it may even be the best one out there.

Ted

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

are you saying you dont find the upconverting with the tosh to be to your liking.

11. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I find it okay, but I like my other SD players better.

I also like the response time on the other players better. [​IMG]

My system is set up to easily accommodate up to 5 DVD players so using the Toshiba for SD is not required. Don't forget that if you stick with the Toshiba you also get the slow response and the poor remote ... so why put up with it when you don't have to. I don't have to. [​IMG]

Also don't like the CUE in the Toshiba as marginal as it might be ... so there. [​IMG]

(I'm continuing to use the LG 7832NXC as my SD upconverting player because it works just fine ... especially with the component video solution. That in conjunction with the Lumagen scaler helps to take care of most weaknesses that unit might have. Some have said the LG has weird greens, but the scaler fixes it. My Panasonic S97 is also just fine as the primary player on the second system using its HDMI.)

Regards

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Michael,

What are your thoughts about the Panasonic S97 in general? Better image than the Toshiba upscaling?

13. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ron,

The best sound quality would be from the 5.1 analog outs on the player to 5.1 analog ins on the receiver, but you'll have to go into the player's setup menu and set speaker sizes, distances, levels, and crossover manually. This way you'll get unaltered DD+ sound.

If you use the optical digital connection something weird will happen when playing HD-DVDs--the receiver will indicate that you're getting a DTS signal.

This is because the Advanced HD-DVD format, which is the only one being used for HD-DVD right now, requires certain disc dependent sounds (mostly sound effects on the menus) to be generated by the player and combined with the DD+ soundtrack, then re-encoded for output over the optical connection. The DD+ soundtrack exceeds the capacity of spdif cables anyway. The Toshiba player decodes the DD+, adds in the disc dependent sound, then re-encodes the result as full bitrate DTS. It has a DTS encoder built in. Full bitrate DTS is arguably the best sound available via a digital optical connection, so the sould will still be better than on all but the very few full bitrate dts sd dvds.

I have an HK AVR 635, which has about the best self calibration/eq system in th business, but those features don't work on the analog inputs, so I generally use one of the digital optical inputs though I do have it connected both ways.

14. Michael TLV

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Dave H, yes, better than the Toshiba. But only after you properly set the DVD player up. The default picture settings in the player are not correct so things like contrast come out being set too high and brightness too low.

Without correcting for this, it might give one the impression that the output is not as good as it really is. Secrets liked it ... and I like it too ... better than the Toshiba SD output. None of this is day and night stuff ... the Panasonic simply does a few things better than the Toshiba.

Regards