1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

component cabling question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt.C, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Matt.C

Matt.C Auditioning

hi this is going to sound a bit stupid, at the moment i have the cabling set up as follows:

dvd to avr: composite video/optical cable
    avr to tv: composite video/analog rca

i have no component or svideo ports on my tv and am restricted to composite/rca on the telly, until i get a new tv of course, but not just yet. my avr doesnt have a svideo port (that i can see at least) and the dvd has both svideo/component.

would changing the composite/optical cables from dvd to avr to component cables improve anything taking into account the type of cables (composite/rca) used from avr to tv?

im guessing not but im a bit new to this lark and like a few other opinions.

thanks.

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

No.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Generally, if you have selected a component video source on your audio visual receiver, nothing comes out the receiver's composite output jack.

If something did come out (rare) it would be no better than connecting the DVD player, etc. with composite in the first place.

As for the cables themselves, a high grade cable may improve even a composite-delivered picture a bit. It is hard to say because manufacturers don't tell you what high grade means exactly. Composite video from a DVD player needs about 7 megahertz of bandwidth and a 75 ohm cable.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Matt. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]

To re-phrase what Allan said about recievers:

Composite-In => Composite-Outs
    SVideo-In => SVideo-Out
    Component-In => Component-Out

If your TV cannot take Component in, there is no point in sending component video to the reciever.

There is one thing you might do: Run video straight from the DVD player to the TV.

Running video through the reciever is 'handy', but only if you have 2 or more video sources. The reciever acts like a switch between say a VCR and a DVD player. But unless you have more than one thing hooked up, there is no need for a switch.

Hope this helps.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you don't have component inputs on your TV, there is no reason to run component anywhere else. PLus it's a different method, and unless you transcode it, it won't work. And this will probably degrade the picture anyway, so just run composite.

5. Matt.C

Matt.C Auditioning

thanks for all your replies, i had a feeling that it would be pointless running component cables on the dvd->avr if the avr->tv was going to be composite.