What's new

Component cables (1 Viewer)

Chris Valder

Auditioning
Hi
I need to connect DVD player with component output to my sony 10HT projector. These interconnects look just like audio phono cables. Can I use them?
Thanks Chris:)

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure about my answer but I'm sure that I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

Component cables are different than RCA cables. I believe that the bandwith is different. So I think that you need interconnects that are specifically component cables.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are the same connection, but there are slight differences in the cable design. Audio cables will work, but a quality, purpose built component cable should give you somewhat better results.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Nope.

By convention, video signals need cables made with 75 ohm coax. Audio cables can be made with 50, 75, 110 and 300 ohm coax. (Do you know what yours are made with? They often dont say).

Also, as the frequency increases, the signals become more sensitive to the cables.

Ordinary Component Video cables need to handle up to 4 Mhz video signals with minimal problems.

But Progressive Video goes up to 7 Mhz. And HD signals top out at 35 Mhz!

Another BIG point: Inexpensive Video cables like the AR brand or Radio Shack work fine for smaller displays. But as you blow things up, small imperfections become visible. You mentioned a Projector. How big of a picture do you intend to display?

My guess is your system is sensitive enought to need some High Def capable cables. Hit the various web sites/ebay and look for "Canare" plugs and Canare or Belden coax cable sets.

Good Luck.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
There is a difference. When I first got my new receiver I had forgotten to buy a coaxial cable for my digital audio. What the heck, I figured I'd temporarily use a spare audio RCA cable that I had lying around (it was an "expensive" one). It worked and it sounded fine because I had never heard better.

The next day I went out and bought an MIT coax cable and was amazed by the difference. You'll definitely want to spend the money on a nice set of cables although your RCA cables will display a picture.

Chris Valder

Auditioning
Thank guys. Quality component cables it is then.
I intend to project up to 6ft screen. Not too ambitious but I guess worth the extra on cabling.
Out of interest what is MIT cable?
Anyone know good (but inexpensive) cable manufacturers in the UK?
Thanks again
Chris

PS This seems a nice, friendly, helpful Site

Timothy_A.

Agent
Hi. I'm running digital coax audio from my dvd to my receiver. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I 'also' connected the analog audio cables from the dvd to the receiver? Does one automatically override the other?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chris: This thread on Acoustic Research cables has a table I built with a lot of links to various web sites. They all tend to build cables with the stuff used in the production studios. Very high quality without the price-hike that retail cables use.
You just have to hit each of them and see if they ship to the UK.
You do know about the 10% rule? You should expect to spend about 10% of your equipment cost on cables. Your projector probably cost about ~2,500 so 200 for a good cable is not out-of-line. The web sites in that link will give you an even better value.
Yes, we are a friendly site. Just treat everyone with respect and you'll do fine. :)

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Timothy,

Hi. I'm running digital coax audio from my dvd to my receiver. Out of curiosity, what would happen if I 'also' connected the analog audio cables from the dvd to the receiver? Does one automatically override the other?
Different receivers/processors handle that situation differently. I can indicate multiple audio sources for each main input on my processor and use a button to switch between them. With other units you can map each audio input to a different main input (designate the same video input for each).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks