1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Component cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay_Via, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Jay_Via

Jay_Via Stunt Coordinator

hey all,
    first post here....looks like a great site though....
    im an amateur home theater"ist"....been into it for 2-3 years now and have a decent setup....
    i was wondering what the general consensus on component cables for dvd-to-tv were. i was looking at some acoustic research cables, $45 for 6 foot cables. Someone was telling me recenty that you would do just as well running 3 normal composite cables as our red, green and blue. i doubted this statement, and ended up coming across this site, so i thought i would ask.
    thanks for any help
    jv
    ------------------
    "What good is it....for a man to gain the world....yet lose his own soul, in the process....?"
    -- X

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jay. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    I'm afraid your friend was correct. A set of component video cables is simply 3 video cables.
    The rule for video cables is that they have to be made with 75 ohm coax.
    Since CATV coax is also 75 ohms, some people have made their own.
    The trick is that all 3 cables have to be the exact same length and made with identical RCA connectors or visible problems will appear.
    The AR brand is well respected as a budget cable set. The next usual question is "what is a step up?"
    My rule-of-thumb is to suggest AR or Radio Shack brand cables for:
    - Tube-type TV
    - Running less than 6 feet
    - Running interlace/normal video
    The cables can become a limiting factor as your display size increases or the run-length gets larger, or you start shoving HD/Progressive signals down the cable.
    Then we usually suggest one of the internet custom houses that will make you a nice set of cables for $60-$150. This sounds like a lot, until you look at the Monster or other retail brands that go in the $200-300 price range.
    These places will use name-brand coax like Belden, Canare, Mogami, good quality connectors (not 50 ohm audio RCA plugs like some places). Basically the same stuff sold to network TV stations and production studios.
    We also have some members that have web sites showing how to make your own audio and video cables and this is a popular past time.
    Some of the sites are:
    www.bettercables.com www.catcables.com www.wickedcables.com
    and you can search EBay for the word "Canare" for a few other shops that sell cables for good prices.
    Hope this helps. And hope you enjoy your visit.

3. Jay_Via

Jay_Via Stunt Coordinator

well, that sucks! probably should have expected it, but hey who knows....
    i am glad to hear that AR is a reputable brand....i might go ahead and get those cables for now anyway, unless someone can recommend a better type.
    my setup is a sony dvd player....older, but its a good one and a sony 27" Wega....so i think that the AR will do fine for now.
    i might upgrade later when i get a bigger TV, which i will probably be asking about on here in the coming months
    thanks again for the info....
    oh, also, is there any way i can change my password?? or do i have to remember the crazy one that was sent to me?
    thanks
    jv
    ------------------
    "What good is it....for a man to gain the world....yet lose his own soul, in the process....?"
    -- X

4. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

You could also check out http://www.rhinocables.com
    They sell top of the line Belden cables for a very reasonable price. Workmanship and service is first rate. At least that's been my experience.
    An alternative is one of the commercial cable specialty companies such as: http://www.avcable.com
    I think http://www.markertek.com also sells component cables for a very good price.

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

if you decide to go with the ar series of component cables be sure to check out http://www.accessories4less.com. they carry most all the ar pro-series line of cables for about 40-50% of what you will find in your local stores. good luck in your search.
    kevin t

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint