What's new

Component cables v. yellow/red/white (1 Viewer)

DanXP

Auditioning
hi...

here's my first post... couldn't find my answer in the faq so here goes...

is it necessary to use cables that are deemed "component" or can i use the yellow/red/white??

and while i'm on the discussion of cables, i have a hdmi/dvi 28-gauge cable and there's a pause after changing channels whereas there wasn't when i used the component cables... should the hdmi/dvi cable be thicker??

thanks in advance...
dan

John S

Senior HTF Member
It can take a pause to lock onto the digital signal for display. Analog Component may be faster indeed.

The yellow one believe it or not should be the correct one, but not the red and white.

The Yellow (Video) is supposed to be coax. Now many cheap AV L/R cables do not do this.

You really do need coax for all connections though.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dan. Welcome to HTF! :)

Here are the rules: All video cables need to be made with 75 ohm coax.

At one time, SOME manufacturers made all 3 cables (yellow/red/white) from 75 ohm coax and sold these for about $15. Then took the identical cables and sold them as "Component Cables" for $25.

People got wise to this so the manufacturer changed things. The yellow cable was made with 75 ohm coax, but the red/white was made with 50 ohm audio coax.

So .. its a guess what your cables are made from and there is no easy way to look or measure them to see.

Are you in the market for new component cables?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I doubt the tickness of the cable will have anything to do with it.

Along the lines of what Bob said, since you can't easily tell if the cable is 75 Ohm or not, Yes, you need a component cable in which all 3 cables are 75 Ohm for sure.

DanXP

Auditioning
i was thinking of continuing to use the yellow/red/white in lieu of the component cables as i can get these for a buck, but i'm thinking of changing to a better/thicker gauge hdmi/dvi if there's a guarantee that the pause will disappear...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

There is no guarantee. The lag is probably due to the time it takes to process the incoming digital signal rather than any diminished quality of the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks