Component Cables Made Picture Fuzzy

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by KennyG, Jan 12, 2004.

1. KennyG

KennyG Extra

I recently purchased a component cable. After plugging in and setting my DVD player to progressive mode, I am wondering why the picture looked fuzzy. I thought the component cable was supposed to make the picture better?

I have a Pioneer 563a, Onkyo 501 receiver (no video cables through the receiver though) and a Hitachi 32 UDX 10 S TV.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Might be the change to progressive- some people find the doubler in their TV set to do a better job than a cheaper progressive scan dvd player.

Did you try the same cables in interlaced mode?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you dont mind my asking, what brand/model/price of component cable did you buy?

You may have a bad cable, or a low-end cable that was designed to handle standard component video (480i = 4 Mhz max. 480p = 13 Mhz max).

The other common problem is loose-connectors. Are they snug?

Vince had a great suggestion - try Interlace mode. If you still have fuzzy picture with interlace, likely the cable is defective.

4. KennyG

KennyG Extra

I bought a 2 meter AR cable from Best Buy for around $20. I don't have the money to go with better cables route right now. They do fit snug though, I had a problem trying to push them in to connect to the TV! I'll see if I can choose interlace mode with those cables. Thanks.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The AR Pro2 line of cables are quite good for the $$, but I thought they ran about $35. So you may have bought the standard-grade cables. These work OK, but... I really cannot say they were designed for progressive video.