Component cables for PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John-Miles, Jul 2, 2002.

1. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Is it worthwhile to buy a component cable for my PS2? the output line on the PS2 is the same whether its an rf modulator, composite or component on the other end. is this a factor? or would the picture be roughly the same quality from the component and composite?

I understand the differences between component and composite, but with regards to the PS2 specifically i am concerned that this difference may not be as great. any first hand experience people have ahd with this would be great.

Cheers
    John

2. Ryan Hammond

Ryan Hammond Auditioning

I personally upgraded to the S-video PS2 cable (my receiver doesn't have component) and the difference over composite was quite noticeable. I'm sure the component cable will offer even a slightly better picture than the s-video. Make sure you get a decent cable (I bought the one manuf. by Sony), b/c there are some really cheap knockoff companies out there that make ps2 parts (controllers, cables, etc.)

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Great thanks guy, I figured that was the response i would get but I just had to make sure, sure its only 35 dollars canadian, but well hey im spending everything i got on the Toshiba 36-hfx71 SWEEEEEET [​IMG] god bless toshiba and their awesome products.
    Cheers
    John
    P.S thnaks again.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I found the picture was sharper using component cables with my PS2 than S-Video was.

5. Joey Helmsley

Joey Helmsley Auditioning

I would get the component cables if you have a HDTV, because SOCOM Navy Seals and Tekken 4 both support 480p.

6. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I thought the PS2 didn't do progressive scan (as far as I understand it 480p means 480 lines progressively scanned right?)

7. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Get the components for socom and tekken...... otherwise there isnt a HUGe difference. This fall when socom and tekken 4 come out we will finally have our 480P!!!! AND NO this is NOT A RUMOR.. THESE ARE CONFIRMED 480P!!!!!