component cables for GameCube

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Dagmar, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

I want to connect my GameCube to my TV using component input. My TV does not have S-video input, but it does have component inputs.

Two problems with this:

the first is that those inputs are already being used for my DVD player/reciever

Second, they are labeled "DVD input" and I am not sure if that means that they will only accept a signal from a DVD player and nothing else, the manual seems to imply that, but I dont know for sure since I havent tried it.

Now, my reciever does have an extra set of component inputs, if I connect my gamecube to these, will the video signal be passed to the TV, which, again is connected to the reciever via component cables?

If it helps, my TV is a Samsung TXM2790f, and my home theatre is a Samsung HTDM550 system.

2. liana

liana Agent

the tv should not be able to tell the difference between the dvd or GC.

my cube plugs into the back of my reciever via component, then i run a component from the reciever to the tv which covers my DVD/xbox/GC/ps2 connection for progressive scan.
    so yes, your reciever should pass it thru.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

All that means is the TV will label that input as "DVD Player" when switching source. The Gamecube will work just fine.

If you ever get another component source and your receiver doesn't have enough inputs look into getting a switcher. If you're TV is a standard NTSC (not HDTV) set then a regular composite video switcher will do, use the yellow, red, and white plugs all for component video.

4. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

thanks for the quick replies. Great, so everything will work then.

Still think its very odd that Samsungs makes a TV with component input, but NOT s-video, eh?

5. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Does anybody know of a B&M store that carries the component video cable? If not, has anyone found a good deal on this online (looks like maybe Nintendo is selling it only through its own web site)? Thanks.
    P.S. -- the best price I could find online was at the Nintendo store (29.95):
    http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...tegoryId=44006
    Edit: Is the "D terminal" on the Gamecube (used for the component video cable connection) a proprietary connector, or is it something for which I could purchase an adapter to use regular component cables (which I already have) versus ordering the Nintendo component cable? Thanks for any info.
    Yet another edit: I *think* I answered (one of) my own question(s): looks like the D-terminal is a Japanese standard for connectors and that Nintendo has created this component cable to convert the terminal for U.S. use. Nintendo also sells a cable with a D-terminal connector on both ends for use in Japan. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the cable from Nintendo, paid extra $2 for 2-day UPS. Can't wait to use it with my new Panny 53WX42!

6. Michael St. Clair

You have to use the real cable. The cable is 'smart', there is some active processing going on inside the cable...the output is truly digital (maybe some version of DVI?), and the cable converts it to analog component with an IC.
    Somebody has even made the chip in the first-party cable output optical SP/DIF audio.
    Just get the real cable.

7. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Thanks for your reply, Michael; I was so busy editing (and re-editing...) my first post that I didn't see yours until after I placed the order with Nintendo. Thank you, nevertheless, for cutting off any hint of buyer's remorse!