1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Component Cables---Bettercables vs. CatCables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_B, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Jeff_B

Jeff_B Auditioning

I was looking for opinions on the Silver Serpent Component Cable against the Catcable Tigress Component Cable. I am having a tough time on deciding which one to purchase to get the real detail from my Sony Wega. Which one would give me the best picture detail and clarity.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'm not sure anyone has done and side by side test yet on these two cables. I think someone compared the s video cables though? I have yet to see any better cables in person but I can attest to the very high quality of the catcables products since i've got a lot of their products in my system at present and I've been very happy with the results
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

3. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

I just got some of the silver serpents in the mail. I can say that the CUSTOMER SERVICE of Brad and Margaret is 2nd to NONE!! I had an Audioquest component video cable from my Sony DVD player to my 36" Wega. To be quite honest, the silver serpent cable LOOKED like it couldn't possibly be as good since the Audioquest is the same thickness (more shielding) from end to end. This gave me the impression that it should perform better. What a surprise I was in for!! Not only did I noticed an immediate sharper and cleaner picture, the brightness of the colors was significantly better. I also ordered an audio inter-connect for my sub woofer. I had an Audioquest subwoofer cable that I thought sounded great, but in tests, did provide 1 db (measured) more volume than a Monster cable in the higher bass (above 40 hz, below 40 hz, they were identical). SO, I plugged in the silver serpent. What I found to my astonishment was that the lows all of a sudden were audibly MUCH lower. The high bass seemed to be lacking a little though (well, it really wasn't "lacking". The truth is I think I was hearing more "distortion" than a 100% clean signal). My solution was to use BOTH my Audioquest cable and the Silver Serpent cable to my sub at the same time. WOW, clean, crisp high, mid, and low bass with 0 noticable distortion. MUCH improved over what I had been listening to before, even with the Monster and Audioquest bi-cabled. I also ordered a digital coax, which should be here tomorrow.
    I have NOT tried the CATS, and doubt I will. So far, I'm VERY happy that I chose the better cables.
    ------------------

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I'm using both brands of cables. I have 3 digital better cables, and 1 silver cat. I like both. In my own experience the cat cables arrived sooner than better cables. I am still undecided as to whether cables make a difference in sound quality. I belive if you use zip cord it probably will not sound as good.
    Jon

6. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I haven't tried the component cables but I have s-video cables from BC and Cat.
    The quality on both is excellent but I would give the edge to Cat IMHO. I ordered both the same day and received the CAt a couple days quicker. Comparing the 2, I wasn't sure if there was one that was clearly better. I had to physically swap the cables when comparing so there was some delay but I thought the cat looked slightly better.
    You can't go wrong with either, I just like the Cat's.

7. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Brian,
    Do the catcables have any packaging that lists the specs of the cable. The bettercables web site lists more details than the catcables one - just wondering how they compared spec-wise?

8. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Jason,,Doug from CatCables should be able to give you some details on the specs.
    He is a frequent visitor of the HomeTheater Forums around the internet and ensures his customers are well informed and satisfied of his product.
    Much like the support that Tom And Ron have given to SVS.
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    *Outdated new pictures
    due to recent upgrades!
    **Equipment list current

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Thanks Trevor, maybe I'll check with him.

10. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Sorry, Doug, didn't see your post. That helps a lot. I'll likely be ordering soon. Contact you later.

11. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Keith!!
    I didn't mean to sound offensive. What I meant was that I am so happy with the improvments from going to ANYCables that I can finally say I'm happy with the way my system is. Nirvana?? Well, OK, I'm addicted to the ever improving HT, so I might just eat my words and try the cats, but....even if the cats are 2x better than the BetterCables, I'm still extremely happy with the improvments that I have seen!! I just got the digital coax BetterCables the other day, and I'm not saying it's better or worse than anything else, but God, what a difference over my old optical cable!!
    Have a great day everyone!!
    Keep tweakin!!
    John
    ------------------