Component cable w/ 90 degree connectors?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Pagoulatos, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    I have limited space behind my TV and I'd prefer to use a component cable with 90 degree "elbow" connectors instead of the standard connectors that stick out too far; they'll get pinched by being bunched up close to the wall behind my set...

Anyone know where to get a good quality component cable (1.5-2 meter) that has these nifty "elbow" connectors (only necessary on one side, but both sides would be okay)

Thanks for any help!

-Dennis

Oh...and also a good quality composite cable with the "elbow" would be needed (same length as above)

2. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Do you consider Radio Shack gold "good quality"? I saw they had something like that the other day.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Shack, AR, and a variety of electronics parts places will offer such adapters, then one could simply plug the cable in. Monster, I think?, offers cables with right angle connectors too.

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Well...I'd rather not add any type of adapter, as they will degrade the signal by a tiny amount.

Does anyone just make these cables ready to order?

-Dennis

5. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    The Radio Shack ones I mentioned have elbow connectors as part of the cable. I can't find them online but I saw them in a store last week.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Dennis: the trick with video cables is that they need to be made with 75 ohm coax, and 75 ohm connectors.

Keeping a uniform impedence in the cable is somewhat important. This impedence is affected by the materials of the cable, and the geometry of the center-wire to the outer shield.

If you bend your cable (or have a connector 90 degrees) you change the impedence at that location.

So if a good signal path is important to you, dont use a 90 degree bend. You want as few sharp bends in the wire as possible.

This is why you dont see a lot of cables with 90" connectors: it's not good for the signal.

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Hmmm...that makes sense actually...I'll try the cable I already have and see how it works (how close I can get the TV to the wall without pinching the cable too much)

Thanks for the response!

-Dennis

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Just keep in mind that all coax cables have a bend radius which if you try to decrease, by trying to make it fit, you wind up forcing the conductor to one side which causes it to press into the dielectric. This then causes a localized impedence mismatch from the 75 ohms you're trying to maintain. Makes sense, yes? So if you've got to move the TV out an inch or so, it's in your best viewing interest to do so.