What's new

Component cable w/ 90 degree connectors? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I have limited space behind my TV and I'd prefer to use a component cable with 90 degree "elbow" connectors instead of the standard connectors that stick out too far; they'll get pinched by being bunched up close to the wall behind my set...

Anyone know where to get a good quality component cable (1.5-2 meter) that has these nifty "elbow" connectors (only necessary on one side, but both sides would be okay)

Thanks for any help!

-Dennis

Oh...and also a good quality composite cable with the "elbow" would be needed (same length as above)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Do you consider Radio Shack gold "good quality"? I saw they had something like that the other day.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Shack, AR, and a variety of electronics parts places will offer such adapters, then one could simply plug the cable in. Monster, I think?, offers cables with right angle connectors too.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Well...I'd rather not add any type of adapter, as they will degrade the signal by a tiny amount.

Does anyone just make these cables ready to order?

-Dennis

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The Radio Shack ones I mentioned have elbow connectors as part of the cable. I can't find them online but I saw them in a store last week.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Dennis: the trick with video cables is that they need to be made with 75 ohm coax, and 75 ohm connectors.

Keeping a uniform impedence in the cable is somewhat important. This impedence is affected by the materials of the cable, and the geometry of the center-wire to the outer shield.

If you bend your cable (or have a connector 90 degrees) you change the impedence at that location.

So if a good signal path is important to you, dont use a 90 degree bend. You want as few sharp bends in the wire as possible.

This is why you dont see a lot of cables with 90" connectors: it's not good for the signal.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Hmmm...that makes sense actually...I'll try the cable I already have and see how it works (how close I can get the TV to the wall without pinching the cable too much)

Thanks for the response!

-Dennis

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Just keep in mind that all coax cables have a bend radius which if you try to decrease, by trying to make it fit, you wind up forcing the conductor to one side which causes it to press into the dielectric. This then causes a localized impedence mismatch from the 75 ohms you're trying to maintain. Makes sense, yes? So if you've got to move the TV out an inch or so, it's in your best viewing interest to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks