Component cable that supports 1080i

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by ethan_l, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ethan_l

ethan_l Stunt Coordinator

Oct 25, 2002
    I think my current component cable is not able to handle 1080i properly, causing a slight yellow tint when I scale the output from my DVD player to 1080i

should I get those ultra expensive Monster cables at Bestbuy?

do those have enough bandwidth to support 1080i?
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    I can't comment as to the cause of your 'yellow tint' issue as that may well be due to a variety of issues such as calibration. There's nothing special about 1080i as the bandwidth requirement for that is somewhere on the order of 40-45 mHz (Bob M. I think remembers the exact number). This is easily achieved by many cables and it doesn't have to be expensive either. Virtually any 75 ohm cable out there, whether RG6, RG59, or even cables with smaller center conductors are capable of this. Further the attentuation (the amount the signal drops, typically given for 100 feet) is going to be neglible in the lengths you're probably looking at (a couple of meters). Rather than break the bank, if you've got a Target by you, they've got some GE's going for about $20. If you don't see a difference you can return them and get your money back. Then maybe you'll need to get into the service menu.
  3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999

Monster makes:

Monster Video 1
    Video 2 (the highest Best Buy carries)
    Video 3
    ZX300 (which sells for $220 for a 6 foot cable).

While I dont think it's your cable, go to Best Buy and purchase the Monster cables and see if they make a difference. Keep your receipt and return them if they dont.