component cable question?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by josh.payne, Jun 5, 2005.

1. josh.payne

josh.payne Auditioning

I am setting up a HT system. When I had my house built I paid a HT company to do some pre wiring. I was going to contract the same company to install a system but have decided to do it myself. They ran coax cables to the projector. The cables are a belden 1189A. It has a copper plated steel conductor. Is this cable sufficient for HD content? If so does anyone know the best way to terminate the cable.

Thanks,
    Josh

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Josh.

That cable is CATV grade coax according to the manufacturer. While it will hold the frequencies according to the spec, it was designed for CATV/brodband use and not analog video.

Belden 7710A or 1694A are better choices - designed for video.

This website: Chris White has a very good page on terminating cables.

Hope this helps.

3. josh.payne

josh.payne Auditioning

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Do you think there will be any noticeable degradation of the video signal if I use the 1189A cable? The cable run is 40' to 50'. Would I be better off buying a custom cable from somewhere like Bluejeanscable?

Thanks again,
    Josh

4. John S

John S Producer

For Component HD you need three COAX cables from your source... Only if the display has an HD tuner can it use the single coax for HD hooked to a Dish or outdoor antenna for over the air HD.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

it may be ok, but it is a copper-covered steel conductor. Bob is probably right, if this is a demanding application for HD signals. You do not mention what you are sending over this cable(s).

6. josh.payne

josh.payne Auditioning

Here are the other system details. Sorry for the lack of info.

My video display is an infocus 4800 PJ. The video sources will be a direct TV HD receiver and a progressive scan DVD. These sources will be switched through an Onkyo Tx-SR800. There are 3 coax cables run from the receiver to where the Projector will be. As I have stated the cable run is 40' to 50'.

Sounds like I will be buying some new cables.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Josh

7. John S

John S Producer

I'd use the three already run... COAX is pretty robust in general. Probably still better than an average real component video cable in my opinion. Most people go ahead and terminate with BnC or regular coax/vcr style connectors that screw on to the inputs and outputs, then get the adapter to RCA style used by component cables.