What's new

Component cable question (2 Viewers)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Is there a big difference in brand's?
Im using a somewhat cheap brade called " Acoustic Research " got em at Best Buy for $23.00 Why I ask this even though I am using Componente for the video ,Sometimes I still notice the artifacts in the video that Componente is sapost to take out.I cant remember the proper word for it but you see it like in a checkered tie. Would buying a set of maybe Monster cable or better do anything for me?
BTW ...What is the best Component cables in say 3 feet for the $ 50 - $100 range ?

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
The component cables that you're using are probably fine. The "artifacts" that youre talking about are probably more of a result from your DVD player than from the cables. Is it a lower end DVD player? This isnt to say that it cant be from the cables but in most cases even the less expensive component cables are still pretty good. You could always try a more expensive brand and if they dont improve the picture then return them. Just make sure ahead of time that you can return them. Or maybe you could borrow some from a friend and try them out.
Good luck!!

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Im using it from a Samsung DSS Directv with Component outputs to my HDTV ready Hitichi with componete inputs.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, ok then maybe new cables would make a difference. The only thing you can do is try some. I've had good luck with the Monster component cables but I think they're over-priced. Luckily I got them as a gift. ;)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Just got this .Good Price eh?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=32835&rd=1

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Good deal, I hope it makes an improvement. I still think that the Acoustic Research cables are probably pretty good so let us know if there's a difference. Unfortunately if there's no change you cant return the monstors for a refund. :frowning:

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Im gonna use the Monster cable no matter what.I'll use the AR cables for future tv w/Componente inputs :)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree with Bill that the artifacts you are seeing are NOT due to the cable.

And I'm afraid the eBay listing is for Monster Video 1 cables - the budget end of the line. IMHO the AR Pro/Pro2 cables are superior to these.

(You cant just say "Monster" and assume that the Video 1/2/3, T1000, ZX3000 cables are all the same.)

What is the best Component cables in say 3 feet for the $ 50 - $100 range ?
The best quality-for-the-buck cables seem to be the custom cable sites like www.bettercables.com . Other sites are also very good if they use the wonderful Canare connectors and Canare or Belden coax. These places build cables using coax sold to the broadcast/production studio industry.

You like ebay? Search for "Canare". Or stop by the "Tweaking & Connection" fourm and search for "Component" to find lots of discussion about cables.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think the AR cables that you bought are somewhere between Monster 2 and Monster 3 level.

(This is a VERY SUBJECTIVE judgement. I dont have numbers to back this up, but if you search you will find LOTS of people with AR Pro cables on their HDTV's).

The THX monster stuff is quite good, and that is a good price.

But let me ask you: which of these cables say "HDTV Compatible"?

Component video has been around since the 1940's. If the package just says "Component", it only has to handle 480 interlace. Here are the max frequencies found in a modern HDTV system:

Component Video (480i): 4 Mhz
Progressive/480p Video: 13 Mhz
720p/1080i HD Video: 35 Mhz

My advice: dont buy any other cable beyond those AR cables unless the site/package for the cables say it's "HDTV Rated/Compatible".

Hint: you WONT find this on any of the Monster cables. They use phrases like "Highest Quality" and talk a lot about their "superior shielding". But they pussy-foot around ever saying "HDTV Compatible".

HERE IS THE REAL ISSUE:

While Monster IS good quality (and nearly everybody I know has a few of them in our systems), they do NOT release technical information to let you know how good/different the Monster 1/2/3/THX/Z300 cables really are. So you are stuck going by the price. And many places sell nearly identical products with different cosmetics to create a low, medium, and high price-point.

The custom sites - they do release model numbers for their coax and a few clicks will give you the technical information. (It wont tell you what it means however :) )

In a nut-shell: BetterCables Silver, Canare L-5CFB, Belden 1695. These would be my choices in this order. I would have ANY of these in my system, or buy/recommend them to friends/family. (And if you read the posts in the "Tweeks,.." fourm you will find lots of happy customers. ) And if you have trouble when using one of the custom cables, they are very quick to help. A few weeks ago someone had problems with a new BetterCables cable. You can read about it here: Can a cable go dead while installing. You wont get the CEO of Monster on your phone if you have problems.

Monster - there is just too much "marketing-speak" to really trust you are getting what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks