Component Cable Length

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Don__C, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Don__C

Don__C Extra

Trying to minimize cable lengths in my installation, but am conflicted on placement of my DVD. Ideal location for the DVD would require a 12' cable. A less-convient spot will only require a 6' cable. Am I over doing it in my attempt to minimze attenuation/interference?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I did a comparison between my current 33' component cables and their 6' predecessors and could not spot a difference. You cn do very long component runs without problems.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Yes you are as 12' is short also. I think you'll find s set of GE's over at Target for around $20 that'd serve quite adequately.

4. John S

John S Producer

I use the 12" GE's, they are of decent quality for the low price tag.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Short Answer: 25 feet is trivial for any good coax cable.

Long Answer:
    Cable manufacturers roll out 100 feet of coax and brag about the performance with this length.

The cable does not really "Eat" any signal. But long runs of high-frequency does "slant" the signal. This means the lower-frequency signals arrive at about 99% of their original strength, but same colors/part of a picture contained in the highest frequency arrive at about 90% of their original strength.

Your television has adjustments for brightness, contrast, tint, and even separate Red/Green/Blue intensity values that allow you to compensate for the slant.

Just try to run your long cables away from power wires (AC and speaker) and you should be fine.

6. Ali_

Ali_ Extra

you could check on ebay...i bought a $30 pair of acoustic research compnent cable for only 15 bux with shipping..and the were brand new...