Component Cable in TV and DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roel_S, May 30, 2002.

1. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Does anyone have this problem with their TV or DVD?

Everything was working fine until last night. I pop in Harry Potter and for some reason the DVD player was only displaying the two color Yellow and Green but not Red. I'm using the component cable for my Aiwa DVD player. I tried tweaking the cable on the back of my TV and that worked for a little bit then it went back to the same Yellow and Green color. Is the problem in the cable itself or the component input in the back of my TV?

I tried using the S-Video which I used on my digital cable and connected it to my DVD S-video out and it didn't work. No display came to my TV using the S-Video switch. I thought that's a bit odd also. I tried AV1 and AV2 and DVD and no signal.

I have the Samsung Flatscreen tv and AIWA DVD player

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

1. I'm sure you did this, but try it anyway - changing the disc back and forth a couple of times.

2. Powering the whole thing from the wall off for 15 minutes or so.

3. Using a different DVD Player.

Is it progressive scan?

3. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Mark,

I DVD is not progressive scan unfortunately.. and I don't have another DVD aside from my XBOX which is connected using S-Video. I just stuck something between the Yb and Yr connection and so far it's not bad. I think it's the cables but I don't know

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Double check your connections and also try different cables. This seems like a defectie cable problem. If you don[t have a spare video cable handy, you can use an audio cable for swapping and testing, but if possible always use a video cable for the Y (green jacks) connection.
    It is also possible a jack is broken, which could be revealed when you wiggle the plugs as in checking for loose connections. Then you will need to bring in a serviceman, or open up the back of the DVD player or TV and solder it yourself.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

5. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

Allan,

I think the jack is broken because the picture colors changes when I wiggle the plugs. Good thing I have in-home warranties on my tv.

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

The jacks could be broken in either the hardware or the cable. Check by replacing the cables (maybe buy from BB and return later) first. Otherwise it is just unnecessary hassle to call a serviceman.