component cable from blue jeans cables

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by allan espinoza, Nov 11, 2004.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

hi im looking for component cables and heard that blue jeans cables would do the job, but i dont know which type is the one i need. could someone please provide me the cable type or link as to which one would be best. i have just basic component connectors, but from reading all their different types of cables im rather confused. i would need cables with flexibility if they cables are rather stiff. or if you know of elsewhere with great cables please provide me a link, thank you.

if you need to know my dvd is samsung hd-841 and tv is sony kv-36hs420.

2. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

Call them and ask them your questions. They are very friendly and helpful people. I was extremely satisfied with their product (also component cable) and customer service.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Take seriously their comments on their web site about cable flexibility vs. legnth.

I bought a short (3 foot) component set, and got it with their jacket. I do wish I had opted for the non-jacketed set for that length.

Very, very high quality, but it is a bit stiff.

BGL

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

With that DVD Player and TV I would use a DVI-to-HDMI cable for a completely digital signal and the best PQ (better than component which requires multiple D-A and A-D conversions). Here's an example of what you need. HDMI-DVI Cable. You'll probably also get the best PQ by having the player scale to 1080i, but you'll want to experiment and see which resolution works best for you.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Alan: How long of a cable?

Going from a source to a TV of 5-10 feet a stiff cable is fine. But a 2-3 foot cable in a "U" shape - you want to go with the thinner, more flexable cable.

It's a trade-off. The "BEST" cable based on the frequency response is stuff that has a thick, PVC outer shell that fights bending and has a 300 lb pull strength. Great for industry use or in-wall runs in your home, but not for behind your equipment rack.

For short-runs, go with the thinner RG59 coax. It will be easier to work with.