What's new

Component cable differences - RGB vs RGB-HV (1 Viewer)

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
So I want to connect my plasma TV to my computer, only thing is that I'm going to have to use a VGA breakout cable. My Sony plasma has RGB-HV inputs. Would there be any benefit in using RGB-HV cables as opposed to a normal component cable set? What are the extra 2 cables for anyways, horizontal and vertical sync correct? Are they really necessary when hooking up a plasma to a computer?

Thanks

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Yes, RGBHV includes component horizontal and vertical sync.

To continue the codes, RGsB means "sync on green", meaning that the HV sync signals are embedded on the green channel, and RGBS means that there's a fourth wire carrying composite sync.

The monitor/display should either autodetect or have a mode setting for Sync on Green, and/or it may default to that setting.

As for user benefits, there are none that I'm aware of for typical usage for 3 vs. 5 wire.

Leo Kerr

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
After some further reading, it seems that I may not be able to simply use a VGA to RGB-HV cable and instead will require a converter. I was under the impression that the RGB-HV was going to be the same as the component Y/Pr/Pb. Correct?

Oh well

Erick P

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I was tinkering around with my TV (Sony KE-32TS2U) just now and for the component input it lets me toggle between Y/Pr/Pb and RGB. So I take it that I can simply use a VGA to RGB-HV cable instead of a transcoder?

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Ah, yes, that side of the equation. Yes, most modern displays let you select between RGB and Component (Y/Pr/Pb). Do be aware that it isn't always easy to tell which input is which, so be willing to change the connectors around if the colors look wrong. (Generally the G is also the Y. After that, well...)

But yes, you should be able to make this all work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks