component cable - AR, R-S, Monster?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

hi all.

I did a search, I'm not a slacker, but still am not certain on the cable issue.

have a new Sony KD-34xbr2 HDTV and a Sony progressive scan DVD player I need to hook up.

I'm weary of the Monster Cables the salesmen pitch because I feel like I'm getting suckered into their incentive based trap. I'll be hooking up the DVD player with component cables, about 6 feet (to allow for pulling out to connect, etc.) The 6 foot Monster Cables they were pitching were over $60. AR has them for around $30 I believe. Is it really worth the difference? I checked bettercables also, but their's started at $99. while I don't want to cut corners, I've got a problem with paying more for the cables than the DVD player (I'd probably get two sets - into the yet to be purchase receiver-receiver to HDTV).

thanks.

ps: in what will be a separate post, while trying to decide on Receiver's, I'm considering the Denon 2802 over the 1802 for it's component switching. I want to keep the use of the DVD simple, one button Video 1 switching, for people who are not me using the system. I notice the bandwith is 27mhz. Is that acceptable, or am I better going direct DVD to TV??? thanks again.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

yes, I like AR PRO for video components.
    As for the Denon, post in Receivers forum: You need to ask if 27 MHz is sufficient component switching bandwidth for HDTV signals (otherwise it's fine for passing DVD.)
    By HDTV signals, I mean a satellite dish set-top box or an Over The Air digital tv converter box like Samsung SIR150.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Depending on how much you're willing to spend I highly recomend you look into getting silver cables. www.catcables.com makes some very nice models that have lots of fans claiming the image to be superior to regular copper component cables.

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    27Mhz is more than adequate to pass DVD resolutions. The AR pro cables are fine given your display & source (DVD).

5. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

thanks for the info thus far.

I'll probably go with the AR cables then.

Greg, you mention 27mhz is adequate for DVD resolutions? what wouldn't it be adequate for? HDTV signal? for instance, I don't think our local cable (Cablevision, LI) broadcasts HDTV through their standard cable yet. When ultimately upgrading the cable to one that does, would a digital cable box with component outs (don't know of one that exists yet, but then the HDTV hasn't gotten far) be at a disadvantage being passed through the receiver at 27mhz?

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Lou: Ordinary Component video tops out at about 4 Mhz
    Progressive Scan video needs about 7 Mhz bandwidth
    True HD signals go up to about 35 Mhz at the extreme end.
    While ordinary component video cables WILL appear to work, if they are not HD rated they could be causing problems for the higher-frequency signals.
    Over in the "Tweeks and Connections" fourm, there is this thread where I created a small table showing component cable prices from some of the custom sites.
    While they may cost you as much as $60, you are getting cables similar to what is used in the production studios using Belden/Canare coax and the wonderful Canare plugs.
    And Better Cables/Cat Cables each have a "silver" cable that is more expensive. But I believe these cables have a silver-coated center conductor. (This is instrumentation-grade wire.) So dont even consider them in the same catagory as copper-based cables.
    Check out the link above for the short-cut table. Or try browsing the "Tweeks and Connection" fourm if you want tons of details.
    Good Luck.