What's new

Component AR Pro VS Cheap Composite. Did not see any difference. Why? (1 Viewer)

Vlad_O

Auditioning
I bought component cable AR Pro 3’. Made connection between dvd player (Sony DVP-NS725P) and my HDTV TV (Sony 36'XBR 800)

The cheapest composite cable which came with dvd player I connected thru Video-4 and
The component cable thru Video-5. When I tried to compare, I was really surprised.
Because I did not see any different between those connection. So, my question:
How come the component cable did the same result as regular cheap composite?
Or may be AR Pro 3’ is not very good component cable??

Thanks, Vlad

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Did you read "Let's look at component video cables" at the top of this forum??

The truth is, in normal tolerance conditions for standard video signal on a moderately sized screen, you will see no difference. The difference between the cable quality from great to mediocre will be minimized by short runs, moderate freq video signal and the size of the screen.

If these cables were a couple dozen feet long, if your screen was 50 inches or bigger and/or the signal freq was HD-- then the difference might be more obvious-- but on a 3 foot run on a 36 inch screen running SD video- the quality of the cable will be far less critical.

-Vince

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I think I misunderstood your question-- I think now I realize you're actually comparing a composite signal to a component (not just running cheap cables versus expensive ones, both as component)-- and if you don't see a difference there- then either something is terribly wrong with your set, or you arent looking very hard.

Composite sinal will result in noise around the edges of things-- or a shimmering effect in tight hatch patters (I can think of a couple discs which display this, Try the SOPRANOS season 2 or if you have it, find the episode where Tony meets Richie in the mall- and check out Tony's shirt in composite).

-V

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Have you enabled progressive scan in the setup meni of the player? From what I've read on the web this player has "Substandard progressive-scan video." This could be your problem.

Kevin

Vlad_O

Auditioning
Guys, I mean I did not see difference if I watch dvd in
regular(Interlaced mode). But when I turn on progressive
button on DVD player, I see a big difference.
Basically I was trying to figure out quality of these
cables in Interlaced Mode.

Vlad

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Usually there is a big jump in quality between composite and component.

Find a static test-screen (freeze-frame if you have to) with lots of fine horizontal & vertical lines. Toggle between the composite & component feeds. Look at the intersecting lines and how solid/stable large color areas look.

You should see lots of "dot-crawl" on the composite feed, and colors will look less solid/consistant compared to the component feed.

Dont try and watch a movie and do A/B comparison. Use a static/still screen to see the difference. Once you know what to look for, then you might be able to see the difference in a moving scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks