Component and the HD-A1

tknapp

Agent
Real Name
Tim Knapp
Hd-A1. I've read elsewhere that you can watch hd-dvds via component but can only up convert standard definition dvds via hdmi. Is this correct? My high def projector only has component-in via a vga style port.

Next question. Could i get an hdmi to DVI converter and then attach an adaptor to the Dvi to obtain the component signal i need?

Thanks,
Tim

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Your first assumption is correct--the player will output HD scanrates via component only when playing HD-DVDs or non-copy protected SD DVDs (a very few titles and any self-burned backup copies.)

HDMI and DVI are both digital means of transferring picture information, I don't know of any device that will do a digital-to-analog conversion in order to convert this digital signal to component. In any case the the HDMI output won't work on any device that does not also comply with HDCP (High Definition Copy Protection). The Tosh will upconvert SD via straight HDMI (All HDMI equipped displays have HDCP compliance) or via HDMI-to-DVI, but in the latter case the display device with DVI must also be HDCP compliant and not all projectors with DVI connections also have HDCP.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
These small companies will not upconvert thru component:

VCI
MEDIA BLASTERS
BLUE UNDERGROUND
KINEO
RETROMEDIA
ALL BIG COMPANIES

These small companies will upconvert thru component:

ANCHOR BAY
DARK SKY
ROAN FILMS
LUMIVISION
MARENGO FILMS
ALPHA VIDEO
SIMITAR ENTERTAINMENT
TRITON
BARREL ENTERTAINMENT
ELITE ENTERTAINMENT
MONDO MACARBRO
DISCOTEK
SYNAPSE

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have 2 that won't either, "Day of the Dead-Divimax and Initiation" but all the rest I have do, which is quite alot.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaywess