What's new

Component and RGBHV Cable Questions (1 Viewer)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I have two video cable questions:

1. Does a RGBHV cable set provide noticeably better picture quality than a component cable set for HD signals? This would be for an approx 50 ft cable run to be viewed via a DLP proj onto an 80 inch wide screen. Assume Belden 1695A is used for both.

2. Does a cable set converting BNC terminations to RCA terminations exist?

Reason for these questions.

Going to get a DLP proj soon. Plan on having at least 1 component cable set (for DVD) and 1 S-Video cable (for analog TV). I will likely experiment with OTA HDTV, buying a new set top box in the process (and see if my in-attic antenna is sufficient). I minimally don't mind pre-wiring a second set of component cables versus using component switching between DVD and HDTV and am also considering the add'l expense of a RGBHV cable set instead of a second component set, if there will likely be benefit. Depending on the set top box and proj I get, I may need a BNC-to-HD15 VGA breakout cable(s), which I do know exists. Note that I would like to avoid the add'l $ for a quality 50' DVI solution at this time.

The second question would be a "backout" strategy in case HDTV doesn't work out for me (or I just don't do it) and I find a need to convert the RGBHV to a second set of component with RCA terminations (obviously using just 3 of the 5 cables).

I hope my questions make sense, as high quality video is new territory for me.

Thanks.

Doug

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'll give these a shot...
1) No. The "HV" is a feature on some projectors so a computer can use different scan rates. Most HDTV sources (to my knowledge) dont provide this.
2) Yes. Many of the custom cable sites will build you cables with RCA's on one end, and BNC connectors on the others.
It sounds to me like you are trying to run cables IN ADVANCE of knowing what connections you need. Not a good idea. Wait until you select your equipment and learn the connections before you install.
You do have some nice options you could consider:
- Both Canare and Belden make 5 conductor bundles for RGBVH. You can use 3 of the cables for Component, and leave 2 of them for SVideo. Yes, there are some cable sites that make a "Y" connector break out. It has an SVideo plug that splits into 2 pieces of coax with BNC connectors. The other side has the same. This is useful for long runs using SVideo, but with the better RG6 coax for the long run.
- You can get something like the I Scan Pro that will take your SVideo feed and convert it to Progressive with Component cables. This way you only need to run 1 set of component cables from your receiver to the TV.
Note: It's nice to run the video through your receiver to keep the audio & video in sync. But many receivers are not compatible with HD signals. Look at this Receiver Comparision Chart for the words "Hi Def" under the output column.
- Take a look at Chris White's site on DIY cables. It will give you some ideas of how easy it it to put connectors on the ends of your cables. Armed with this knowledge, call your local high-end home theater place and speak to the installation person. Tell them you want to buy & install your own cable, but pay them to come out and wire up the ends. They may even sell you the coax so it matches the connectors & tools the installation people use. My guess is they would love it if you did the grunt-work of running the cable.
- Get the specs on how long and what type of connectors you need, then hit the custom cable sites like www.bettercables.com and see what they can do for you. Since they often have spools of the coax lying around and custom-wire the ends, it wont cost you any more for the special requests.
Good luck and let us know what you wind up doing.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Bob,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, you are right, I am considering running cables prior to all my decision-making being complete on which projector to get. While investigating pricing in the last day as well as not knowing what I will do with HDTV, I've decided not to go with an additional set of cables for HDTV. I'll stick with a single run of component cables in the near term (no gamble here). Since my controller (AVM 20) supports wideband switching for component (>= 80MHz -3db), I can always start out with running both HDTV and DVD sources through the AVM 20, assuming the HDTV source supports component out.

Thanks again.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks