Component A/V Switching

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter^S, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Peter^S

Peter^S Auditioning

Hello All
    I was talking to a friend the other day and i asked him if his receiver was equiped with "s video" switching and did he use it. He told me he did have s video switching but did not use it because he had been told it degrades the signal ?. I am looking at purchasing the onkyo TX-SR702 witch is equiped with component video switching. I do understand that anytime your a/v signal passes thru additional swithes use loose some level of signal, but is this enough to be concerned about.

Thanks for everyones thoughts
    on this matter.
    Pete.Sheil:b

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Peter!

Please note that this question of yours should have been posted here in the Receivers/Amps area. The Home Theater Builder area is for members to discuss with the staff stories and reviews that appear in the magazine. Thanks!

3. John S

John S Producer

Only you can decide if it does or not.

I tend to say "No" is does not for myself, I use as much switching as I can through my Denon AVR, including HD.

I have found 50mhz bandwidth on the component rating to be the threashold on HD switching, some put it much higher, a few put it a little lower.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    A few years ago, it may have been a hinderance to the image quality, but these days, the pass thru is decent. I still don't use my receiver to switch video though.

5. Peter^S

Peter^S Auditioning

John G
    You said the pass thru is decent, This leads me to think that there is still a notable difference when you dont use video switching ?. Do you not use it because you can see the difference?.

Thanks
    Pete

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't use it because I have enough inputs on my TV that I don't feel it's necessary to have the extra cable and have my signal running through one additional device.

I can't really tell the difference with my receiver in the loop, which is why I say most have decent pass thru these days (component video, progressive scan).

7. Peter^S

Peter^S Auditioning

John S
    I see you say you have a Denon avr, what model and how do you like it. You also mentioned 50mhz bandwidth. I am going to guess that higher is better ?. This should be somthing i keep in mind while i am shopping for my replacment avr.I am looking at the Onkyo TX-SR702.

Thanks for you thoughts
    Pete.S
    :b

8. John S

John S Producer

I have a Denon 4802, that is getting close to three years old. The component switching is rated at 50mhz, I switch HD and 1080i Upscaled DVD through it just peachy.

I also switch MY LD player and embarrasingly enough my SVHS VCR through it too.

I am still extremely happy with it all. I use the no longer made JBL S38's for my speakers all the way around.

I have switched HD through a lot of Onkyo sr501 AVR's and never had an issue with it.

I just love the way Denon power amps sound, so I am partial to them. I also like the way Onkyo amps sound, just not as much.

It is sort of funny, because exactly what I love about Denon power amps is the same thing many people dislike.
    Silky smooth high end, I listen to a lot of jazz, and brash horns really fatigue me when listening to amps that are rated much better than Denon amps are as well as many other mid-fi amps that are comparable to Denon.

PS: yes higher the bandwidth number the better when switching Component Video.