Componenet video redundancy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Williams, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Help me understand this. When I purchased my new TV I specifically wanted one that had component video inputs because I knew that it would give me the best picture from my DVD player. Now I have purchased an AV receiver and I see that it has component video inputs also.

What is the advantage of using these inputs rather than leaving things the way they are now with my DVD video going directly into the TV? It seems like to me that would add another layer of complexity and possible signal degradation not to mention the cost of buying $50 worth of more cable to go from my DVD to the AV to the TV.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jim.

Consider this:

You purchase an XBox with the AV pack which uses component output, then you add in a HD box with component outputs. How are you going to hook this all up to your TV with only a single input on the TV?

It's only an advantage to run video through the receiver if you have 2 or more of the same feed.

With one of: SVideo/Component - go straight to the TV. It's when you add a second/third video source that the value of switching through the receiver becomes clear.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I like what he has to say on the subject. [​IMG]