Componants Above Fish Tank....

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MarkInKC, Jul 12, 2005.

1. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

This may not be the best place for this thread, so feel free to move it if you need to, but...

I am finishing my basement with a theater (sort- of) in it, and the only logical place, and the place with the shortest run for component wires (i.e from amp to projector) is building a cabinet directly above my 125gal. fish tank.

My brother in law said that moisture might be a problem, but other than increased humidity (which I can remedy with a de-humidifier) are there any other concerns? I am not worried about splashes etc., it will have a lid on it, and cleaning is not a real wet project (other than drips, which go down anyway). What do you think? I'll post pictures if I can...

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

You probably want GFCI outlets for safety reasons (even if not required by code), but other than that, I would not be to concerned. Most electronic gear is fine up to 65% relative humidity (non-condensing) so I think that would be fine.

3. MarkInKC

MarkInKC Extra

Yeah, I was planning on that, that's code actuallly, anything within 6 ft of a water source has to be GFCI. I was more concerned about the humidity levels.