compnent vs. s-video...any difference???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

i have a tv with 1 s and one component video input. i have the xbox connected via s-video, and my dvd via component. i only watch my dvd player VERY SPARANGILY, so I wonder if it's worth getting the hd pack. Will I see a big difference. I do notice that when i watch IGN's movies, when they use there in house tv, the same games they have that I also have look considerably more clearer than mine does.(i have a toshiba 20AF42)

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Damien, they're using specialized gear and video capture cards for their screen captures, not photographing their TV.

If you TV is not HD, or can't at least do 480p, don't bother getting the HD pack

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I'd say that you will see a difference, but I'm not so sure it will be earth shattering. Some people see a big improvement others don't. I'm in the same situation as you I have one component input but movies come first for me so the DVD player gets the input...

4. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

Damien, I have that same TV and use it for my Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 in my computer room. The answer for me is YES, get the HD pack. I am using a couple of cheap mechanical A/V switchers (one for audio and one for the 3 component leads) and I am running all (3) of my systems in component 480i. The aparent sharpness and color resolution of component video (even though not progressive) makes a huge difference to my eyes over s-video. Once I saw it there was no going back. I have a 36" Hi-def Sony XBR set I use right now exclusively for movie's so I don't game on it.
    Randy[​IMG]

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Get the HD pack. If it doesn't make a difference then either bring it back to the store or sell it. Most likely you'll be keeping it.

BTW, this technically should be VG Hardware.

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

The difference can be subtle to some. It depends on your knowledge of video I guess. The biggest difference comes in color fidelity thanks to the much higher chroma signal. Same goes for the luminance(sp).

7. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

IM using a HD pack for my Xbox and Sony XBR HDTV and there is a noticeable difference from S-video, if you have a HDTV go for it you will eventually need it when games become 480p and above.

8. Michael St. Clair

I'll be the lone dissenter.

On a 20" interlaced set, you aren't going to notice a hell of a lot of difference between s-vid and component with video games.

Save that component input for your DVD player and hook up the XBox via s-vid.

9. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

Should I bother with component on my ps2? I have a 46" mits I'm using s-video now. I'm using component on my dvd and xbox but I have another input.

10. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Where can you get a HD pack? What does it come with?

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

damien,

What size is your set and is it HDTV compatible?

I have a 46" Mitsubishi HDTV and the difference from 480i to 480p is very noticable. If you have a 27" non-HDTV, you probabyl wouldn't see any difference at all.