compliment my pt47wx52

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paulydoo, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Paulydoo

Paulydoo Auditioning

First time post on this awesome site, and would appreciate a little help. Just had my panny pt47wx52 delivered and am quite pleased even with the analogue signal it is "now" hooked up to. I'm getting a full convergence done on it next week. Now its time to compliment it, can't decide on digital cable or satelite, any pros/cons that I have'nt thought about. Leaning towards bell xpress vu(Canadian eh!) And am looking at jvc tha30 home theater in a box. Not alot of power(235 watts) but dvd has progressive scan or JVC TH-B5, 500 watts, seperate woof amp but no video imputs and no dvd builtin. If I go with this one, is it a problem not having video imputs built in to the amp? I would go dvd to tv but heard this a bit of a headache. The jvc tha30 has all video imputs built in. Any comments on either of these systems and digital cable or satelite and also anything I should watch for when the convergence gets done. Apparently, this is one thats done without the remote? Lastly, any comments on the panny, I just want to optimize this little unit. Thanks for any input on I guess a very loaded question(S), Paul in the beautiful Okanagan.

2. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

I would highly recommend the Bell ExpressVu over Digital cable. I bought the PVR 5100 package about 3 months ago. Here's the breakdown

Digital cable - Rogers - had it for about 1.5 yrs
    Only the movie channels (TMN) and the specialty digital channels are Digital video and sound. All other are standard cable = not good
    I was paying $82.00 CDN a month for this service, including terminal rental (it was available for sale about 2 weeks after i went satellite).

Satellite
    All channels are digital sound and video - they all look very, very good on my Sony 27" Wega.
    I'm paying $30 CDN a month for the first 6 months. Thereafter it will be $55.00 CDN a month. This is using the Ultimate 7 Package
    The PVR is AWESOME - i haven't watched a commercial in the last 2 months. (you basically timeshift about 15 minutes for an hour long show, and then fast forward over the commercials)
    They ROI (Return on Investment) is approx 1.5 years, after which i will be saving $30.00 CDN per month.

If you go with the basic terminal, ROI is much shorter.

HTIB - i'm not 'up' on any of these units in paticular -in general, a receiver with video inputs makes life easier, since you run everything to one place, and a single video cable to the TV. This was especially important with the older tv's that only had one or two inputs - you don't have that problem with your new one.

Also with HTIB, it's important to look for packages that are upgradeable - if the Receiver and DVD are a combo unit, there's no room for growth. This may or may not be the right solution for you.

Personally, when i started into this, i bought a receiver and a center channel. (Denon 1601 and Energy XLC)
    I used some crappy fronts and surrounds for the first 6 months. I then bought new 'fronts' (Energy XL 15's). I waited another 6 months and bought new set of fronts (Energy XL 16's) and moved the 15's to the surrounds.
    I now have a system that i am very happy with, and didn't replace anything that i started out with.

Depending on your needs, an HTIB may be a perfect solution for the next 2 years or more, and will definitely sound better than TV speakers! However, a lot of people end up replacing the whole system with a separate approach, and may lose money in the long run.

You need to decide which route is right for you.

Your TV looks awesome i bet - i would pick up a Sound and Vision HT setup DVD and RadioShack SPL meter as soon as possible - it will help you setup your video and speakers

Hope this helps
    Take it easy

3. Paulydoo

Paulydoo Auditioning

Thanks, Yah, I'm definetly leaning towards satellite. My cable provider is trying to sell me a digital receiver but I have to think for overall sound and video satellite is the way to go. That second or third receiver is a headache but I guess there's no way around that. I'm still up in the air on htiab or piecing the system together and am still hoping someone has inf. on these two jvc systems I'm looking at(anyone?)(THB-5 OR THA-30). It sounds like you have had success in putting your system together piece by piece. Better sound I bet then htiab? Also anyone, I'm had my pt47wx52 for one week and am having what they call a full 200 pt. convergence done on Nov.15. The guy says he brings a generator of some sort, takes about an hour and its all done via the remote. Is this right, I assumed it was done with the panel off and the remote jobby was for the novice such as myself. Can anyone clarify this and how much of a diff. is the convergence going to make. Thanks Paul and anyone else that can get me up to speed!!