What's new

Complicated Comcast cable box hookup (1 Viewer)

catlover0908

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa Lapierre
The following diagrams have been very helpful...

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/rf-mod_dvd_or_game_vcr.pdf

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/2/CM/VanityURL/documents/record_digital_watch_analog.pdf

What I want to know is...is it possible to hook up 2 cable boxes (so I can watch one digital channel and record another digital channel) using a splitter/A-B switch AND an RF modulator, plus a VCR and DVD player...

The first diagram shows using a RF modulator, the second shows a splitter, but can I use both? Any diagrams would be a great help...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
What connection(s) are on the back of your TV? Does it only have one screw-in F-Type connector, or are there any additional inputs (red/yellow/white)?

If I understand things correctly, you have two sources, (cable and DVD), and you want to be able to record one cable channel while watching another. Am I missing anything?

Have you considered upgrading your two digital cable boxes to a single box with a built-in DVR? That would vastly simplify things and eliminate the need for the VCR.

As to your original question, I believe you can combine the two configurations shown in the diagrams if you insert the RF modulator (shown in the first diagram) in between the output from the splitter and the input on the TV in the second diagram.

catlover0908

Auditioning
Real Name
Melissa Lapierre
This is the best step-by-step I've seen for what I want to do, straight from the Comcast website. So my question is, at what point do I insert the RF modulator?

Option 2: Watch & Record Independently
This configuration enables you to record one channel while watching another. This flexibility may require two (2) converter boxes, a splitter, and one A/B switch. There is an additional monthly charge for this option if converters are required.

1. Connect the wires so that the cable signal passes from the main cable into your splitter
  2. Connect one wire from the splitter outputs to the input of one converter box
  3. Connect the other wire from the splitter outputs to the second converter box
  4. Connect a wire from your first converter to the RF input of your VCR
  5. Connect a wire from the RF output on your VCR to your A/B switch
  6. Connect a wire from your second converter directly to the A/B switch, and then to your TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks